· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New to plants, need some advice...

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there! As stated in my intro thread, I'm having a bit of a problem with my corkscrew and jungle vales. They're slowly browning in the middle and I don't know what I'm doing to cause that! :(

I've got an Anubias Nana and Bronze Wendtii as well and they're seemingly doing fine. I've got a 38 gallon tank with the standard All-Glass hood lamp (only 24" long @ 14w too!) and I'm using Kent Freshwater Plant liquid. Dosing was suggested to be about 1/2 second squeeze every day or 1 lid full twice a week. (Suggested dosing was 1-3 capfuls 1-3 times per week).

Tank has just been given a 50% water change a week after putting the driftwood in and it cleared up massively (I wasn't told that my water would look like tea after I put it in!), however, the vales are still browning! I want to add more plants and fish shortly (I should be done cycling) but don't want the new plants to die :(

As for lighting, I know I should have more light, even though the vales and other plants can deal with low light. I was looking at this lamp/hood and was wondering if I'd have to get a glass top as well? Also, would a 96w bulb be too much for my tank? I was told anywhere from 80-100w would be good... will I be blinding my fish?

Picture of tank for some reference... (those squiggles are my rasboras :D)

Thanks guys for any help!
    Why does fish has no blood?

10g - black skirts, neons, algae eater
    38g planted - rasboras, zebra loaches, SAEs, pearl gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    First off let me start with the easy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
    Tank has just been given a 50% water change a week after putting the driftwood in and it cleared up massively (I wasn't told that my water would look like tea after I put it in!), however, the vales are still browning! I want to add more plants and fish shortly (I should be done cycling) but don't want the new plants to die :(
    The driftwood is releasing tannins into your water. They may lower your pH a little but are harmless. If you do not want them you can boil the drift wood to quickly rid it of all of the tannins.

As for lighting, I know I should have more light, even though the vales and other plants can deal with low light. I was looking at this lamp/hood and was wondering if I'd have to get a glass top as well? Also, would a 96w bulb be too much for my tank? I was told anywhere from 80-100w would be good... will I be blinding my fish?
    96 watts would allow you to grow anything that you wanted, but it can be a little bright. I have 96 watts over my 46 gallon (actaully it has two 96 watt bulbs but I am only using one) and it is fairly bright.

The biggest problem with going that high, is that you would be required to do CO2 injection. You may even have to do pressurized. Although I am currently running a DIY setup on my 46 gallon with good results, so it can be done cheaply if you are willing to do all the maintenance.

Keep in mind that it looks like you have a penguin biowheel on the back and you would most likely need to replace the biowheel to inject co2. The biowheel agitates the water too much for any CO2 to stay in solution and I personally could not get any consistent CO2 reading until I went with a canister instead.

Picture of tank for some reference... (those squiggles are my rasboras :D)
    It looks like you have a nice start to your tank.

Edit: why does the light look so blue at the top. IS that an actinic bulb. That coudl be your problem.

As stated in my intro thread, I'm having a bit of a problem with my corkscrew and jungle vales. They're slowly browning in the middle and I don't know what I'm doing to cause that! :(

I've got an Anubias Nana and Bronze Wendtii as well and they're seemingly doing fine. I've got a 38 gallon tank with the standard All-Glass hood lamp (only 24" long @ 14w too!) and I'm using Kent Freshwater Plant liquid. Dosing was suggested to be about 1/2 second squeeze every day or 1 lid full twice a week. (Suggested dosing was 1-3 capfuls 1-3 times per week).

Thanks guys for any help!
    It may be a matter of not having enough light, but I have some spirals under 10 watts in my 5 gallon and they do just fine. More lighting would definitely help them.

What is your water change schedule? Do you do the 50% change weekly as that combined with the kent should give you enough nutrients for your low light levels. I have a hard time thinking that it is nutrients, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I would also suggest reading the sticky in the plants forum by Chrona on planted tanks.
    Last edited by hungryhound; 06-05-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    on a 38 gal tank, 80-100w will be a bit too much without adding some serious co2 and ferts
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sergo
    on a 38 gal tank, 80-100w will be a bit too much without adding some serious co2 and ferts
    well never mind HH beat me
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    The more I look at that picture. The more that light looks like it is acitninic.

My guess is that your bulb is your problem. Most of the light that plants use is in the red and yellow spectrums. They do use some in the blue, but not enough to survive.

If that is the case then your bulb is acitinic and in the wrong spectrum. Your vals are slowly dieing because they are not getting enough light. The anubis is much hardier and may take a while to show the same symptoms.

You can probably change the bulb to a full spectrum bulb and expect to grow all of your plants that you currently have.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:

20g long planted tank:

5 gallon:

Pictures and My Blog

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhound
    First off let me start with the easy stuff.

The driftwood is releasing tannins into your water. They may lower your pH a little but are harmless. If you do not want them you can boil the drift wood to quickly rid it of all of the tannins.
    After that change, it's pretty much gone. It looks like it should clear with the next one.

96 watts would allow you to grow anything that you wanted, but it can be a little bright. I have 96 watts over my 46 gallon (actaully it has two 96 watt bulbs but I am only using one) and it is fairly bright.

The biggest problem with going that high, is that you would be required to do CO2 injection. You may even have to do pressurized. Although I am currently running a DIY setup on my 46 gallon with good results, so it can be done cheaply if you are willing to do all the maintenance.
    Hermm.. is it possible to get lower wattage lights and put those inside? I do like the setup I have now, I just want more light so I can put a bit more interesting plants in there... that, and I'd like to actually see what I have!

Keep in mind that it looks like you have a penguin biowheel on the back and you would most likely need to replace the biowheel to inject co2. The biowheel agitates the water too much for any CO2 to stay in solution and I personally could not get any consistent CO2 reading until I went with a canister instead.
    Even if the water level is high enough to be over the outlet of the biowheel?

It looks like you have a nice start to your tank.

Edit: why does the light look so blue at the top. IS that an actinic bulb. That coudl be your problem.
    Thank you! The light is the standard All-Glass fluorescent. I don't know if it's actinic. I did adjust the white balance quite a bit, to be fair.

What is your water change schedule? Do you do the 50% change weekly as that combined with the kent should give you enough nutrients for your low light levels. I have a hard time thinking that it is nutrients, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I would also suggest reading the sticky in the plants forum by Chrona on planted tanks.
    Eeep! This is most likely where I'm wrong :( I just changed the water after the first fill 3 weeks ago! Do I really have to do 50% every week?! My little 2 gallon bucket can only take so much!

I shall read this sticky! Thanks for your answers!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Heh, after reading the plant database you guys have (amazing, btw) it suggests I attach my Anubias to a stone to tree root with fishing line... should I? It would look fairly spiffy on that driftwood stump...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Heh, after reading the plant database you guys have (amazing, btw) it suggests I attach my Anubias to a stone to tree root with fishing line... should I? It would look fairly spiffy on that driftwood stump...
    it is fine next to the stump, but you will need to pull the rihzome out of the gravel or it will rot. If you just leave the roots in the gravel it will be fine.
    46g planted tank:

30g planted tank:

20g long planted tank:

5 gallon:

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Hermm.. is it possible to get lower wattage lights and put those inside? I do like the setup I have now, I just want more light so I can put a bit more interesting plants in there... that, and I'd like to actually see what I have!
    I am a little confused on the light that you choose. You state that the one on your tank currently is 24 inches long and then you link to a 36 inch fixture.

What exactly are the dimensions of your tank.

Even if the water level is high enough to be over the outlet of the biowheel?
    Yes even if the water is higher than the return. I tried that and the biggest problem I had were the biowheels themselves. I had to remove them altogether from the filter.

You may be able to get it to work, but I had no luck with it.

Thank you! The light is the standard All-Glass fluorescent. I don't know if it's actinic. I did adjust the white balance quite a bit, to be fair.
    Then it might not be an actinic bulb. I am a little unsure at this point as I am still not good at diagnosing nutrient problems.

Eeep! This is most likely where I'm wrong :( I just changed the water after the first fill 3 weeks ago! Do I really have to do 50% every week?! My little 2 gallon bucket can only take so much!

I shall read this sticky! Thanks for your answers!
    A 50% water change is not necessarily required every week, but it is good for the fish and plants. (I personally do a 50 percent on all of my fish tanks 46, 30, and 5 gallon and never lift a bucket, I love my python)

It is good to do a water change every week of atleast 25 to 50 percent.
    46g planted tank:

30g planted tank:

20g long planted tank:

5 gallon:

Pictures and My Blog

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhound
    I am a little confused on the light that you choose. You state that the one on your tank currently is 24 inches long and then you link to a 36 inch fixture.

What exactly are the dimensions of your tank.
    36 1/4 Long x 12 5/8 Wide x 19 3/4 Deep (top to bottom)

the light fixture itself is 18-24" long inside a 36" long enclosure/reflector

basically, my tank is 36 inches long but it's only using a 18-24" lamp O.o If this sounds normal, then disregard my ranting lol.

edit: what exactly is a rihzome?