· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

Default Heat wave warning - tips?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys and gals,

There is a heat wave warning for my area for today, and pretty much the next week. My 32gal tank is at 27-28 degrees Celcius, but a suspect that it will continue to climb past 30 by tomorrow and remain there, and maybe higher in a few days.

Most info says that past 29 degrees Celcius, my goldfish with become stressed. I read that I should remove the hood on my aquarium and place a fan to blow air on it, but I don't have a fan (budget tight this month). Also, my live plants need the light from the hood, don't they? I reduced the amount of time the lights are on to 7 hours (8am to noon then 7pm to 10pm)

I have an canister filter and read that I should put it in a bucket of cold water with ice. Although I tried this and it seemed to work, it is a huge hassle. I have a large icepack that would fit in a clean fish bag. Would placing it directly in the aquarium work? Would that stress the fish?

What is the most effective and simple way of lowering the water temperature, without stressing the fish?

Thanks in advance :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    Goldfish are temperate fish, which means they live in warm water in the summer and cold water in the winter. Only in our fish tanks do they get a contant temp all year long. I wouldn't worry.

But yes, opening the lid and leaving the lights off will help. A fan blowing across the surface will bring the temp down a few degrees as well.
    Last edited by jaysee; 07-05-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    All I have ever done is what Jaysee described. We get heat waves here too and I haven't lost any fish from it.I don't think you need any ice added to anything.
    You will have more water then usual evaporate from the tank but that easily fixed!lol
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - Northernguy   For being part of the community - MCHRKiller   To a fellow Louisianian! - Owlbehere   Here you are! - Wild Turkey   Now your one of these! lol Congrats! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    It is always hot here, you should be fine. As said, a fan can bring the temp down a bit.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 probably fine.

To prepare, you can put full water bottles in the freezer. When the tank gets too hot put a bottle in, when its melted replace with a new one.

I doubt you will end up having to do anything like that but its nice to have the bottles on hand if you are expecting high temperatures.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your fist Gift! - Northernguy   fellow Torontonian :) - NanoTankGuy   congrats on your first Pearl - NanoTankGuy   yeaaaaa - Lady Hobbs   Born there. Sorry about the G20 - little hawaii   

0 Not allowed!
    Get some fans to keep the air circulated. We had a heat wave here today, and will be the same for the rest of the week. keep tank lights off, if you have live plants wait until the sun is setting, and turn off before bed. Close the curtains, keep windows closed. Don't let that humid air in. Enjoy the heat :P
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the advice and alleviating my fears :)

Since I won't have a fan for at least two weeks, I'm freezing some water bottles just in case. Reminds me of when I kept a cooler in my tent in the desert to have cold five alive. LOL!

I'll remove the hood during most of the day and put it back once the sun sets to give my plants some light.

I also checked the water quality for safe measure, and the ammonia, nitrate and nitrites were all at 0.