· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and fish

1. Default Cats and fish

0 Not allowed!
    My cats consider the fish tanks their own personal tv's. Kind of creeps me out. I adore my furry felines, and I adore my fish, but I know if they had the opportunity the cats would lunch on my fish. I had to give away my rats for the same reason (not because the rats like fish, because the cats wanted to eat them!) This is like like being friends with a couple that is getting a divorce. Love them both but have to sneak around so you don't appear to play favorites. 'cept I'm pretty sure the fish don't have a clue....ok, maybe not JUST like friends getting a divorce...!
    Why do people always scream when I'm driving?

0 Not allowed!
    I gave my son one of my 55 gallon tanks and he keeps it in his basement. His cats never even look at the fish. It's pretty odd behavior for cats, I think. He also keeps all the furniture way from the fish tank so they don't sit there starring at the fish and getting idea's.

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    My cat ignores the fish too, if you have a decent top your do not need to worry too much about it.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Occasionally one of my cats will watch the fish, but more often they are drawn to the flowing water of the filter than the actual fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wish my cats would look at my fish. I got the fish just for them to look at anyway so they would not be so bored in the house all day. I try to get them to look and they want nothing to do with it. I can't stop looking though

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 kittens at home, and every once in a while one will stand up on the couch and watch the fish. Its cute. when i first got them they would paw at the side of the tank, but now they just sit and watch. If only they would stop pawing my laptop screen while im in a raid....
    Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Our youngest cat used to chase my cory back and forth along the bottom of the tank trying to slap at it. I think she finally realized that she can't get him because she quit doing it. Now she's really interested when I do water changes. She likes the water filling up in the bucket.
    16 Gallon Bow Front 3 Fancy Guppies - 1 Lamp Eye Tetra - 3 Albino Corys

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everyone claims it's odd behavior when their cats don't pay attention to the fishtank, but really, most breeds of cat are water-shy, and all cat species/breeds I can think of prefer fowl and fur over fin - though most certainly could be great fishers if they didn't know there was easier food elsewhere.

Regardless, my female, an actual hunter, doesn't care for my tanks. My long-hair only pays attention when the Gourami flares at him. And my youngest just likes to drink from the filter - I'm more worried he'll accidentally drink a fry, instead of catch an actual fish on purpose! (Alternatively, in regards to rodents, my female killed one of mine and nearly caught another after she shoved his entire cage onto the floor, and my youngest constantly tried to.)

Ah well. So long as they don't figure out how to open the hood (and some will o.o) your fish should be safe! =)
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have 5 cats here, and at first they were all over it watching...but they have kinda calmed down now.

Mine love to lay on top of the light and I have one that likes to drop thumbtacks into the tank. I think he's trying to spear fish! LOL. They also love drinking out of the filters. They can down my waterlevel significantly in a day or so.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since I have fish, I don't leave my cats without me in the part of the house where my tanks are (Familyroom, Diningroom and livingroom - open concept). Also never leave a lid open, when you have to turn your back, like with waterchanges, feeding time etc. Most of them are very interested in the fish and would take their chances!