· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Sufficient Lighting for a FOWLR?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a ten gallon in my office that a coworker and I were discussing converting to saltwater. It would be set up with about 2-3" of live sand, 3-5 lbs of live rock, a HOB with carbon filter, and two Clownfish, 1 yellow Tang. The lighting is 2 15 Watt bulbs. There would be 1 powerhead.

Thats all we want to put in it. Is this doable? My research says yes, but I trust the people here at AC

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    NIx the yellow tang, jsut read that their min tank size is 75. so just two clownfish, maybe some shrimp.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im a noob too but I think even 2 clown fish is a bit too much for a 10 gallon. the smallest clown fish (false clown) needs at least 20 gallons IMO. I would think maybe a goby or something might work out in a tank that size. If this is your first saltwater tank I would'nt pick a 10 gallon for my first tank. Things can go wrong VERY quickly with only 10 gallons or less of water.

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with just one clown fish or a small goby. 2 clowns would be a little cramped in a 10 gallon. You'll also need at least 10 lbs live rock for proper filtration. The lighting will be ok for FOWLR but if you ever go reef you'll need to upgrade. You also need a good skimmer. The tunze nano doc comes to mind and should work good in a 10 gallon.

Just be sure to do tons of research before adding your 1st drop of water. Saltwater takes a lot of time and patience and is a little more involved then freshwater.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought two clowns might be safe since I have seen so many who have dun' it. I would really like to have atleast two fish in it, no matter how small. So! Lots of live rock, got it. I want be adding any coral or reef at any point, that is way to complex for a start and such a small tank, though I am doing research into anemones for future knowledge. I am doing loads of research. As for a skimmer, i have read several places, on this site, that they aren't truly necessary. What exactly do they do?

I understand the patience and time involvement, thanks for the warning though.

0 Not allowed!
    Skimmers help with maintaining the organic soup in check. So if you're doing a low key fish tank with low bioload and light feeding while keeping up with weekly water change, you don't need it.

If you want to keep it simple and interesting, maybe get a small goby and a pistol shrimp. It's fun to watch the two interacts with each other.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could always go to PetCo and take advantage of their $1/gal sale right now and get a 20 high for $20. Give you some more room without increasing the footprint that much if you did want a clown and shouldn't be that much more expensive equipment wise. 25 gallon tanks, if you can find them, are also the same as a 20 high, just 4 inches taller, which would give you more options yet, but if you were to add corals and such later, the lighting would have to be a little stronger or you would need to stack them near to top for the light to penetrate properly.
    20 and 10 gallon community tanks, 5.5 gallon dwarf gourami tank
    Red tail boa, Corn snake, Albino Nelson's milksnake
    Fire belly toads (2), Red eye tree frogs (2), Antilles pinktoe tarantula
    Mourning gecko, Electric blue gecko, Crested gecko, Mali uromastyx

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on Labs post above.

People may have done 2 clowns in a 10 - but were they full grown? It does take a while, but they are just a little bit too big as adults for a pair in a 10...

I just picked up some neon gobies - they are a nano fish (so far, the same size as neon tetras, and from what I've read they don't get any bigger) and you could maybe get a wee school of them to go with a clown. If you do get them, make sure you have a lid tho - they are jumpers.
    Perhaps skip the clown and check out other nano-fish on google if you want more variety in a small tank.
    There is a nano-tank forum online somewhere that I've come across once or twice.
    good luck!
    20gal long planted community