· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Garlic?

1. Default Garlic?

0 Not allowed!
    OK. So i am currently having a problem with what i believe to be some sort of parasite, and i have heard that feeding fish pellets or flakes containing garlic OR soaking regular pellets in garlic help fish fight parasites.
    but i have some questions.

1. does it matter what type of pellet i use? can i soak hikari cichlid gold sinking pellets in garlic?

2. how long do i soak them? or do i just do a quick dip?

3. can garlic be harmful to any fish or my aquarium's water quality?

4. should i bother using it if my fish is already being affected by a parasite? can it be used as a treatment? or is it merely preventative?

5. and to soak them can i just crush a clove into a bowl and start dipping? or do i need a special garlic solution from somewhere?

thnx oodles for the help guys. =P.
    Peace

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Australian natives
    OK. So i am currently having a problem with what i believe to be some sort of parasite, and i have heard that feeding fish pellets or flakes containing garlic OR soaking regular pellets in garlic help fish fight parasites.
    but i have some questions.

1. does it matter what type of pellet i use? can i soak hikari cichlid gold sinking pellets in garlic?
    It does not matter but the less moisture in the food you soak the more garlic it will absorb. and obviously the better you dry it out before you put it into the tank the longer it will hold the garlic while awaiting fish to actually eat it.
    2. how long do i soak them? or do i just do a quick dip?
    I usually do it over night and let it dry
    3. can garlic be harmful to any fish or my aquarium's water quality?
    Garlic is plant matter fish eat plants, it is already in a lot of fish foods.
    4. should i bother using it if my fish is already being affected by a parasite? can it be used as a treatment? or is it merely preventative?
    Both
    5. and to soak them can i just crush a clove into a bowl and start dipping? or do i need a special garlic solution from somewhere?
    The fresher the better. I have herd of success with garlic extract, you can ground up fresh cloves with a food processor or mortar and pestle and make a fine paste and then add a little water to make it into a thick liquid then that is good for soaking, some fish will eat it by itself if minced fine enough for their mouth (small enough to consume in one bite), but be careful when testing to see if they eat it minced because if raw garlic is uneaten in your tank it looks unsightly. Very fine particles floating around.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a cut and paste I wrote about garlic use - may have info that's useful to you:

Garlic helps build up the immune system (and keep away parasites). There are fishkeepers who give it to their fish once a week.

You can use it to soak some foods in, such as freezedried bloodworms or frozen food, and/or you can put a couple of drops of garlic juice directly to the tank water.

I use minced garlic (in the jars with the spices at the grocery store), but you can use fresh. My jar doesn't have juice, just the little chunks. I just take some of the chunks, put them into a (unused) cup from a Nyquil bottle, put in a bit of tankwater, and some freeze dried bloodworms. I let the whole mess soak for about 20 minutes, and dump in the liquid and the worms. They love the treat, and it's super healthy for them. I have tried to let them eat the garlic pieces, but they ignore those.

If you regularly feed freeze-dried foods(worms, daphnia, etc.), by the way, you always want to presoak in garlic juice or tankwater. The foods expand when they are hydrated, and you don't want that expansion happening inside the fish's stomach - it can cause bloating and constipation.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thnx guys for the excellent replies =]. i shall start soaking some pellets now =P. lets hope it does the job.
    Peace

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just came across your post and also wanted to recommend another option to you...

You can also internally medicate fish (which is what you are doing with the garlic food soak). Seachem has a combo that I've found to work really well.

It is a Focus and Metranidazole. You use the Focus as a binding agent to attach the Metranidazole to foods. This has worked really well for me in the past!
    Good Tankin' & Take Care!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh ok. ill have a look into it =]. cheers.