· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Baby Frogs!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Baby Frogs!

0 Not allowed!
    When I rescued my two DAFs from the Hallmark torture cube, I was assured they were both males. Much to my chagrin, little Fred has turned out to be a little Fredwina. Now what? I can't give her up as she is now part of the family, so the thing to do is separate them and get appropriate companions? I really don't want to have to do the baby thing...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    don't know if it applies to DAFs but many frog species can change sex in order to procreate...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lobsternoob   

0 Not allowed!
    yep, Jennfairview has it right in a single sex environment many frogs can and will change sex to be able to procreate. Remember Jurassic Park? I know it's a dumb example, but that was a big part of the book, and movie. I don't know if african dwarf frogs do this, but it may be the case. So Fredwina might have started as Fred, but i have never seen these frogs breed succesfully. of course if there's any fish in the tank with them pretty much anything will make short work of their eggs.

How long have you had them? It takes two or more weeks from what i have read for frogs to change sex, although I was not able to find any info on DAF's particularly, and do not even know if they are capable of it. Could always been a case of the employee assuring you of something they had no clue about, pretty common in this hobby.
    Last edited by lobsternoob; 06-29-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Chances are very low that they'll even breed so you don't need to separate them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the encouraging news. I have had the little critters for about 2 months, so the sex change could be possible. I wonder how they decide who is going to do the "changing"; I can hear the conversation now; "You do it", "No YOU do it", "Absolutely not, I don't want to have to deal with PMS!" "OK, FINE!, but you have to do it next!"