· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Substrate Change

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so to tell the truth i am clueless as to what is the correct procedure for a complete substrate change, so any pointers and advice will be much appreciated.
    here are some of the details:

I have a 65g tank with 2 native fish
    - one 9cm barra
    - one 8cm silver perch
    i also have a variety of plants growing in the tank.

the tank was cycled with just the barramundi about 1 and a half months ago. - during the cycling there was only the under-gravel filter powered by air-stones present,
    - about a week and a half ago i added an internal filter (103F Aqua one) http://www.thewaterbowl.com.au/squir...on=show_detail
    - my water test results are:
    ammonia = 0
    nitrites = 0
    nitrates = 20
    pH = 7.2

When i change the substrate from gravel to sand i am planning on getting rid of the underground filter, and adding new rocks, plants and drift wood.

Note: i am not in any hurry.

Anyway thats all i can think of atm, if u need more info just ask.
    I will appreciate any input, thnx guys.
    Peace

0 Not allowed!
    Start with this sticky and let us know what questions you may have. You may not want to change your substrate and remove your under gravel filter until you have run the internal filter for at least a month. You want to be sure the new internal filter has an established bacteria colony before removing the under gravel filter.
    Last edited by fins_n_fur; 06-25-2010 at 08:52 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thnx for the link, answered a lot of questions. yeah i figured it would probably be best to wait a while for bacteria in the filter.
    would it help if i were to get some extra sponge media to put in? this filter was kinda cheap and seems to have a lot of empty space.
    Also, i seem to recall reading somewhere that good bacteria will also establish itself on the surface of plants and decoration, so would it be advisable to put the rocks, drift wood, and new plants in prior to the substrate change, or would that have no affect?

and finally, from the sticky i read that with sand as a substrate i will have to put a stocking over my filter, is this just while i wait for the water to settle after the change? or is it necessary to have my filter continuously covered if i change to sand substrate?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Australian natives
    thnx for the link, answered a lot of questions. yeah i figured it would probably be best to wait a while for bacteria in the filter.
    would it help if i were to get some extra sponge media to put in? this filter was kinda cheap and seems to have a lot of empty space.
    Also, i seem to recall reading somewhere that good bacteria will also establish itself on the surface of plants and decoration, so would it be advisable to put the rocks, drift wood, and new plants in prior to the substrate change, or would that have no affect?

and finally, from the sticky i read that with sand as a substrate i will have to put a stocking over my filter, is this just while i wait for the water to settle after the change? or is it necessary to have my filter continuously covered if i change to sand substrate?
    I never covered my filter during or after the change and never had a problem.. but that's just my experience.