· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Fish moustache

1. Default Fish moustache

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum but have had fish for the last 15 years or so (after I saved a Tiger Oscar from being flushed away!).
    I've never had problems with the health and wellbeing of the fish until recently. I've read countless disease diagnosis charts and spoken to staff at the local fish shops but I just can't pinpoint the problem, I would be much obliged if anyone can offer any help.
    3 neons have got what I believe to be fin rot, I've used the interpet anti fungus and finrot solution, however after a week since I've used it the situation is worse and they are starting to go off colour over their bodies and they appear to be getting whitish/grey moustaches. Also the glass catfish and Colombian tetras are getting these whitish/grey moustaches.
    I do a 25-30% water change most weekends, feed them as I always have done, haven't introduced new fish since January.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong and how I can resolve the problem?
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like more fungus to me, mouth fungus.

0 Not allowed!
    What medicine did you use?

It may be fungus or maybe fish slime or maybe a combination of both. What I need you to do is do a 80% water change with aged & treated water with the same parameters or treated water with the same water. Then filter it out with carbon and keep up with water change for 1 day. Remove the carbon and get furan 2 in there and treat it with dosage recommendation.

Other questions:

Are there gravel in the tank? Do you clean out the gravel with each water change? Do you clean out the filter?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    for tail and fion rot, I've had better success with large water changes and aquarium salt, then any medication.
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows