· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Paraguard?

Default Paraguard?

0 Not allowed!
    I've got one keyhole with a bit of fungus on one pectoral fin. I started medicating with one product and dosed for the duration according to the directions and it seemed to get better. Now it appears to be getting worse. I thought I would give Seachem's Paraguard a try before going to something stronger (which I may have issues getting). Anyone have any experience and/or success?

0 Not allowed!
    Never used it, but seachem usually makes a good product. I would start there IMO.

0 Not allowed!
    Just noticed that product while searching their site last night. I was thinking of ordering some and keeping it around just in case. But like Red stated, never known Seachems to not make a decent product.

I've been looking at another new product called Prazi Pro made by Hikari for internal parasites. Thinking of ordering that one too. Soon there will be more products than fish if there isn't already.

0 Not allowed!
    Paraguard is fine for your purposes but I would like to ask what your water change regiment is and what your pH is?

Paraguard is based on malachite green. Malachite green is rather unstable and its effectiveness and toxicity is dependent on temperature, sunlight, and pH.

The most important is pH, the higher the pH; the more toxic it is. So observe your fish in treatment and follow dosage recommendation. If your fishes show any sign of stress, do a water change and filter through carbon right away.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that Seachem make good products, so it's worth a buying and trying. First dose last night, so will see how this works.

pH is 6.7 and water changes are done nearly without fail 50% every week. The blurb on the bottle promises not to alter pH as there is no formaldehyde or methanol as with formalin based products that also have malachite green.

Thanks for the comments, we'll see how it goes.