· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Bronze Cory Disease Diagnosis needed

0 Not allowed!
    I mentioned this in a thread I had going about my corys, but I wanted to start a new one for increased visibility. I got some pretty good pictures today.

Two of my four bronze corys have ragged tails and white patches. The patches are not little "grains of salt", which would be ich, and they don't look really fuzzy like pictures of fungus I've seen.

Stocking is listed in signature. Params are 0/0/20.

Behavior so far is normal. I've stepped up water changes (going to do 35% every two days for a while) and started treating the tank with melafix. Can anyone tell me what disease this is and, if not melafix, what I should be treating with?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    From reading your other post on your cats; it may be due to poor genetics or selection from the LFS. It may also be opportunistic bacteria that took hold on the fish if the fishes are stressed from the move. But it's definitely bacterial.

However, I also noticed you didn't say anything about QT before putting them into your tank aside from the usual acclimation.

Proper QT procedures must be followed to ensure high survival rates for all fishes. This would allow you to watch and observe the newly acquired fish, introduce fish from main tank to QT tank and observe; and treat as necessary before putting everyone back to the main tank. That's why the proper QT for discus is about 4-6 weeks long. It's so one can observe everything because pathogens may lie dormant or may be opportunistic if the fish become weakened.

For now, just try putting Pimafix in with Melafix to see if it will help. Melafix is more effective against gram positive bacteria and they're rarely the culprit of fish diseases. Pima is more effective against gram negative and since they're from natural ingredients; they won't nuke your bio filtration. However, just make sure you have lots of oxygen in the tank as these medicine depletes it quick.

If you have another free tank available, you can use that as a hospital tank if things doesn't look good and go for stronger antibiotics. Antibiotics will kill your bio filter so it's not a good idea to put it in the main tank unless you have no other options.

For future reference, I advise you to set up a QT tank and follow strict QT protocol no matter what even if the fishes look well and healthy. It's also a good idea to have another hospital tank up just in case you need to treat your fishes. If you have invertebrates and plants in the main tank, it'll make it much more difficult to treat because a lot of medication will kill the inverts and plant.

I know it's a pain to QT for a long period of time and it may be costly if we have to treat them during QT, but it's better to prevent than to cure. Whenever I get new fish, depending on the source, I will either do PP first or go straight to antibiotics and de-worm. I thoroughly clean them up even if they look healthy and come from reputable source. I take no chances. Even after being in the main tank, I still do preventive treating by feeding medicated food quarterly for about a week.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i think this be cause-effect. I have also notcied whenever i move my cories tank to tank or they are subject to any amount of stress within the next couple of days the whole school/shoal? has torn ragged fins. So i know this might not be really helpful but i wouldnt worry about the fins, work out what the white spots are and once thats solved the fins should heal once the stress is gone, at least in my case once stress removed it took about 3-4 days happen 3 times.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    since we're discussing QT times and stress from moving, I should mention how long I've had them. I got a batch of three a month ago and a batch of three more 3 weeks ago. One died from each batch within two weeks of getting them (first unexpected an inexplicable, second was injured when I got him and got worse). I'm not sure whether the two currently affected are from the first batch, second batch, or a mix.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm ok 3 weeks is not ages but usually long enought o get over new tank syndrome, i dont think it matters which batch the fish are from at this point, unless that is the newer ones entered the tank with the disease but maybe the stress is coming from something else that u cant identify other fish perhaps maybe someone else can offer some better advice
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    scratch that went over the thread post before my first is proably much better advice my mistake

journal @

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    day 2 of melafix treatment. Picture is as follows:

Fish #1 (on the left) has two white spots. One on his top, in front of the dorsal fin, and one on his side. He's not completely in focus, but you can see the side spot.

Fish #2 (on the right) yesterday had a range of white milky spots. Today the spots are looking smaller, raised, and much more defined. You can see a cluster of 4 dots on his side, just behind his dorsal fin. This looks much closer to the pictures of ich that I've seen. Is this ich? It didn't start out looking anything like it.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    significant improvement overnight! Both fish are looking better. The fins are completely intact, the white patches are fainter and closer to the proper color, and the little white dots on one of them have completely disappeared. I'll do another water change and more melafix today.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good, keep us posted.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    day 5 of melafix treatment. Both fish improved to a point as mentioned above, but then have sort of stayed that way. One of the other cories now has a large white spot on its tail. Behavior is still good all around.

I noticed my BN pleco was being pretty aggresive towards them today. He didn't physically touch any, but he sort of charged them, and flared his fins. Could these white spots be physical injuries? Is my pleco bullying them?