· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Goldfish Hybrid?

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm aware that all types of goldfish should be able to produce offspring together since they are all the same species but I've searching around the internet and can't seem to find any mention of goldfish hybrids. I have a shubunkin, a black moor, and a comet and the black moor is always trying to spawn with the other goldfish. I'm wondering what, if any, experience any of you here at the forum have with goldfish hybrids?

Has anyone successfully bred a hybrid goldfish or seen one online somewhere? I'm not purposely trying to breed my fish at all, but if it does happen, I'm just very curious about what the fish might look like?

Anyone????
    Thanks.
    Just Keep Swimming

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

fellow old timer - Algenco   Loved the Bob story! - Rue   You deserve the superman award for sure - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back buddy! - Aeonflame   No Message - little hawaii   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - little hawaii   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - little hawaii   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - little hawaii   

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePrince
    So I'm aware that all types of goldfish should be able to produce offspring together since they are all the same species but I've searching around the internet and can't seem to find any mention of goldfish hybrids. I have a shubunkin, a black moor, and a comet and the black moor is always trying to spawn with the other goldfish. I'm wondering what, if any, experience any of you here at the forum have with goldfish hybrids?

Has anyone successfully bred a hybrid goldfish or seen one online somewhere? I'm not purposely trying to breed my fish at all, but if it does happen, I'm just very curious about what the fish might look like?

Anyone????
    Thanks.
    Every Goldfish on the market is a hybrid. Goldfish were the ones that first got me into breeding. We had one male calico shubumkin that would mate with a gopher if he could. When ever there was a question of what sex a fish was we would just put them in Bills tank and see what he did. it was foolproof. WE had over 2000gallons going in my basement. I did it mainly for the thrill, and I really like goldfish. WE sold them all too.
    So not sure what you realy want to know. There are any number of mutt goldfish Hybrids out there. It is very difficult and exspensive to do it right and Keep a pure strain. We would cull out 70-80% of our Ranchus and we payed a lot for 5 breeding fish. Over a thousand, that was anumber of yrs ago to. So enjoy your Hybrid Goldfish

I once thought I was Brave, but I can't stop crying. "Kendal Payne"
    Tanks
    135g. 6' -"currently"under reno. to river tank for 12-L204 Panaques and 12 Cory Sterbai
    135g. DIY 48"X28"X24"- 1/2" glass. 7-wild L046Hypancistrus zebra
    65g.- 7 [B]wild[/B]L066 Hypancistrus King tigers 6 - 30g. fry tanks
    BE responsable!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well I know that they are all hybrids and bred to specific traits and what not. What I'm asking is why I have never seen or read anything about, for example, a black moor and shubunkin cross, or a ranchu and a comet cross? What about a celestial eye and a common?
    Just Keep Swimming

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Sigh. They're all the same species, they just look different. It's like breeding a flame delta guppy with a skyblue tuxedo guppy. You still wind up with a guppy. Breed a Great Dane with a Husky. You still wind up with a dog.

You don't hear about crosses between the fancy breeds because they're very simply ugly junk fish, usually bred by accident. Regardless, they aren't true hybrids, because no matter whether you breed a shubunkin with a celestial or what have you, it's still just a goldfish - it's simply a mixed breed.

A hybrid is a mix between two different species, not breeds. (Tiger with a lion, guppy with a molly, etc.)
    Last edited by VoidParadigm; 06-19-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Good post Void. That should clear things up nicely.