· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default The size of my comet goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought five Comet goldfish for my ten gallon fish tank, maybe an inch long, if that. I read online that they will grow to be 12"-14" long, is this true? I saw a picture of a full grown Comet and it looked like it would eat my cat! Maybe these aren't Comets? they were 28 cents each.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish for your thoughtful posts!  Brain food! - Rue   Another Betta for your AC tank - Cliff   thanks for plant link - Lady Hobbs   good luck with your geckos! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Common mistake among many people. Those are indeed comet gold fish. Most people recommend putting them in 75+ gallon tanks or ponds. They're mainly so cheap because they're mass bred as feeder fish. If you don't want to have a large tank or pond in the near future, I would recommend returning them to the store as soon as possible.
    20 and 10 gallon community tanks, 5.5 gallon dwarf gourami tank
    Red tail boa, Corn snake, Albino Nelson's milksnake
    Fire belly toads (2), Red eye tree frogs (2), Antilles pinktoe tarantula
    Mourning gecko, Electric blue gecko, Crested gecko, Mali uromastyx

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Comet/Common goldfish are indeed sold pretty darn cheap.

Which leads many beginners to think they're great for small tanks and/or bowls.

Here's the simple news. You need to return all those goldfish. A ten gallon isn't even big enough for one.

I suggest returning them, then we can direct you to some species that will actually fit.

Also; Don't listen if anyone tells you that goldfish will only grow to fit their space. Yeah, it's true, but they live only 1/20 of the proper lifespan, have their organs squished inside them, and are very prone to health problems. Basically, it's animal cruelty to allow that to happen.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyharrison
    I read online that they will grow to be 12"-14" long, is this true?
    Pretty wild eh! lol
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

Here is a link with some info.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/comets.php
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A flounder for you - my favorite fish - jaysee   time for new fish - Lady Hobbs   so other will not be lonely - Lady Hobbs   oops..now ya need a mate - Lady Hobbs   Discus always look best in schools!lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to AC. :)

Price of fish and their adult size have no direct corrolation. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Check size charts for goldfish in my signature link. No goldfish should be in a 10 gallon tank. Comets should be in ponds or used as feeder fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for all the help guys, but what if i waited for them to get too big for the tank and put them in my mom's boss' koi pond? She has over 200 koi in that thing. Also how would i trasport it, She lives like 45 mins away.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Unless the pond is 125,000 - 200,000+ gallons, it's already overstocked, and if the Koi aren't stunted, those baby goldfish will likely just be food.

Also; They're already too big for that tank. You need to get rid of them now.

The best method for transporting fish is to get a cooler or a rubbermaid tub - something sealable - put them and the water in that, pop the cover down, drive. Bam.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok thank you, and i dont think she is overstocked because she's rich as hell with her own personal pond person. he makes sure the pond is perfect.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say go for it. I mean honestly, what do you think the pet store is going to do with those fish if he returns it? The conditions I've seen these little goldfish in at pet stores is way worse than 5 of them in a 10 gallon.

But yeah, those fish are going to die in your 10 gallon, and they won't grow right at all, especially if you didn't cycle your filter yet.

And I mean not grow right at all as in you can expect 3 or so of them to die in the next 2 weeks, and it won't be pretty.

I'd see about getting them in that pond as soon as possible. Sure, they will probably just become food, but in the grand scheme of things that is probably a better fate than suffocating on ammonia and nitrites.