· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner's Guide

0 Not allowed!
    1) Know yourself, don't lie to yourself! Ask yourself if you're willing to spend a lot of time, money, and effort to raise the beautiful discus fish!

2) Set a budget, look for second hand tanks on craiglists and the bigger the better with the minimum size being 55 gallons. Stick to the 1 discus per 10 gallons rule if you want to keep it easy on yourself. They need to be in a group of at least 6 unless it's a breeding pair. If you are buying a used tank, be sure to completely sterilize it with bleach, rinse and clean, dose with pp (potassium permanganate), rinse and clean again, and filter with carbon to make sure that the tank is fresh and ready to go. Take no chance to introduce anything to discus.

3) Have a QT tank ready that's at least 30 gallon and make sure it is in a different room from the main tank. Also, make sure that you have completely different equipments from the QT tank and the main tank.

a. Always wash your hand thoroughly after working on different tanks. Pay very careful attention to your clothes and shoes and make sure you don't get it into close proximity of the main tank if there is a disease outbreak going on. I've seen many instances of wipe out when people break strict QT procedures.

b. If you are receiving domestic discus, QT them for about 6 weeks. During week 1 - 4, observe them carefully and treat as necessary. If you intend to put these new fishes in QT into the main tank; take one discus from the main tank and place it into the QT tank after the 4 weeks duration and observe the group closely. Treat as necessary and observe them for 2 more weeks. If everything is fine after this 6 weeks period; all may be moved into the main tank now.

c. De-worm the fish with praziquantel (tapeworms); medicated food with flubendazole or fenbendazole as a preventive (flubendazole can be used in water or mixed with food to eradicate tapeworms, flukes, nematodes/ fenbendazole can only be used with food); or lemavisole as treatment in water (nematodes). Flubendazole is more broad spectrum so I'd recommend it. Also, you can try getting medicated flake food with fenbendazole to feed your fishes as preventive measures.

d. If you're receiving wilds, it's good to de-worm even if they seem fine during QT.

(Note, this is very generic and there are some instances where you have to treat right away or not depending on the source of the fish. That's why it's very important to know where the discus come from and who is supplying it to you. Potassium Permanganate is a powerful oxidizer and must be used with extreme caution. Do not use it without properly consulting someone who has experience with them or at least doing research on them.)

4) Do research and more research. I can't stress this enough. Get a general idea of what to look for and what to not buy.

5) Do research and look around for reputable breeders with good stock or LFS that get fish from a good and reliable source. Go to reputable online sources and have them shipped. All reputable online sellers will be glad to answer your inquiries and will send you pictures of the stock that you are getting exactly. If they don't, walk away and go to another source.

6) Get yourself some medications to keep on hand. Please look at this thread:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=54024

7) Get a varied diet for your discus. Do research on seafood recipes and make your own. Get varied flake and pellets and freeze dried food.

Example of seafood recipe that I use:
    1 lb raw tuna
    1 lb raw sea salmon
    10 shrimps
    1 tbsp ground pellets
    2 crushed vitamin pill (Centrum is fine)
    2 bags of spinach boiled
    2 crushed garlic clove
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 tsp astaxathin
    1 tsp pro growth

Keep it simple and just make sure that the food you make don't break up immediately upon touching water.

Some other food I that I feed.

Freeze dried food: blackworm and earthworms
    Flake food: Ocean Nutrition, Angel Plus, special made flake from Inland Empire Discus, Cyclop-eeze
    Pellet: Tetra Colorbits, NLS
    Live: blackworm, white worm, red wrigglers
    Frozen: bloodworm, brine shrimp

(Note! I think my discus eat better than me sometimes, lol.)

8) If it's your first time starting with discus, go with pre-adults around 4 inches plus. Juveniles require more care and attention because they require much more feeding. This would mean a lot of water changes.

9) Equipments and filtration, KISS! If you're starting out, sponge filtration and power filter is adequate. Keep them in bare bottom tank for easy cleaning. You may add a slight layer of sand if you wish but make sure it's white sand and come from a reliable source without any contaminants. If you don't mind peppering in pigeon based discus, then you can do whatever color background you want. However, if you do mind the peppering black spots on pigeon based discus, paint or spray paint the back (sides too if you want) with white or light blue or any lighter hue colors. The heater needs to be reliable and get more than one that's underrated for the tank. If one fails, then at least one is keeping it warm enough until you get a replacement.

10) Research, research, and more research.

I'll add more if I remember anything else and if anyone has anything to add; feel free.
    Last edited by Spardas; 06-15-2010 at 03:29 AM.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas
    3) Have a QT tank ready that's at least 30 gallon and make sure it is in a different room from the main tank.
    just curious, why is this?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    There's a chance of cross contamination through the air and it can wipe out the entire fish room.

Domestic discus are heavily bred in different farms from all over the world and each farm can harbor a particular strain of virus/pathogen that other farms haven't been exposed to yet. There may be nothing wrong or it can wipe out your stock. So don't risk it because I've seen the devastation it can do.

So if you find a good supplier of discus, buy from him to reduce the chance of possibly contaminating new and old fishes. If you do want to get fishes from different suppliers; then it's best to keep them in separate rooms and then test it by mixing one discus from the main to the QT tank. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Spardas; 06-15-2010 at 04:05 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How do you process your seafood recipe?

I think the assumption here is, if I wouldn't eat it, than neither will my fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I throw all the ingredients into the meat grinder, ziplock it, freeze it, and chop it up into cube afterwards. Then I just throw the cubes in the tank and watch them attack it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent advice, Thank You

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm completely new to discus. Starting from scratch I have a 90 gal tank, planted. Getting ready to set up my CO2 for the plants. My Kh is 5, my Gh is 7 and ph is 7.0. Tank is cycling at the time. I have 4 red eye tetras, and a pair of bettas and 2 tiny bristle nose plecos. It has been cycling for about 1 week now. I have a huge piece of driftwood in the tank also. Aside from what you have posted here, any other advice? (I know I'm a glutton for punishment ) :o) thx

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxx
    Hi, I'm completely new to discus. Starting from scratch I have a 90 gal tank, planted. Getting ready to set up my CO2 for the plants. My Kh is 5, my Gh is 7 and ph is 7.0. Tank is cycling at the time. I have 4 red eye tetras, and a pair of bettas and 2 tiny bristle nose plecos. It has been cycling for about 1 week now. I have a huge piece of driftwood in the tank also. Aside from what you have posted here, any other advice? (I know I'm a glutton for punishment ) :o) thx
    1st piece of advice.. don't put fish in a tank before it's fully cycled!
    120gal rectangular (freshwater)

46 gallon bowfront (breeder tank)

5 gallon hexagon (office desk tank)

10. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot, spardas..
    if you think you're gonna die today..well, die happily..if not, well..die another day..