· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default spray bar education

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I have finished building my filter intake and return. This is hooked up to a eheim 2224 and seems to work beautifully.
    But of course, now I have questions... With my tank being 48 inches long, should I have the spray bar shooting out from the side? So the current runs the length of the tank? I just set it up this way because this is how I think I remember seeing most aquariums regardless if using external filter or HOB"s
    The other question I have is if someone can educate me on the difference between having the spray bar out above the water, or under the surface, the amount of surface rippling? etc.
    I read something about oxygen absorption? What are the pro's and con's using these different methods? What do you use and why? Thanks for any help, Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    Your spray bar looks much better than Eheims standard edition ones. I think the way you have it now will work perfectly, most of us like to have our intake on one end and return on the other which provides good total water circulation. I personally like to keep the return under the water surface...maybe an inch or so down mainly for the reason it keeps things quiet. I have also never had a problem with oxygen levels, of course if you were to have it slightly above the water you would probably get more surface disturbance but in a properly kept aquarium that isnt an issue.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    That looks great! Nice job.
    What size holes did end up using for the spray bar?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    That looks great! Nice job.
    What size holes did end up using for the spray bar?
    Northernguy... I went to my drill bits and thought 1/16 seemed a bit small, so I started out by drilling 3/32, and stayed with that. Seems to be the right size.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    It looks wonderful! After joining this site, I changed my spray bars from angling down to angling upwards (surface agitation). It's great that you were able to make your own... Coodos!
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your Ac tank! - Northernguy   A ram for the new tank - Cliff   Good Luck - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great! I had the same spraybar question. I have an eheim 2215, and there is really only one option for the spraybar in my corner tank. The intake and the spraybar are fairly close to each other, by necessity. The only way I have ever been able to arrange it is where the bar is about an inch under the surface. I can just see a bit of current on the surface of the water, but very little surface agitation. I always wondered if this is a good or bad thing. But, my fish seem very healthy and in full color, so I guess it does not really matter too much. Hopefully, I've got it set up O.K.

Yours looks just great in the pics!
    54 gallon corner tank:
    6 gold barbs, 6 zebra danios, 1 pearl gourami, 4 ornate rainbows, 1 boesmani rainbow. Eheim 2215 cannister.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow you are really "Handy"!! Looks awesome. I only have a spray bar on my 55 G. I have it set to run the length of the tank and positioned to agitate the surface. I find this config. to be best for me it makes the flow go across the top then the bottom in a circular motion. Since I have set it this way I have noticed the bottom of the tank stays a lot cleaner. Since it keeps the sediment moving and it eventually gets picked up by the filter. I moved it this way because when I had it the other way I noticed just one section was cleaner than the other side.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I think your setup is just fine and looks good!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof