· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I want to be wrong

0 Not allowed!
    When I was doing my rounds of the tanks this morning, checking temps, quality and doing a breakfast feed, I found that I had gained a Molly ! Yesterday I had done a slightly larger than usual water change and im guessing that I had one fish that had been tucked away and hiding all this time.

He's now out and about in the tank but as you can see from the blurry pictures ( He wouldnt stay still ) hes not doing too good.
    I have a suspicion of what it is, but I want to be wrong.

Its a 55gal tank, temp is a steady 78.6, Ammonia is at 0, 'trite at 0 and 'trate at 5

There are just a couple of plants in the tank, and everyone else seems to be doing well, all eating and dropping fry like its going out of style !

Once again, sorry for the blurry pics, I dont have the best of camera's and I havent taught my fish to pose yet !

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what do you suspect it is??
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    I'd just remove him. I never think trying to doctor a $3 fish worth the cost of the medications nor the risk to others in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Does it show signs of wasting? I'd use gloves and make sure you don't have any open wounds on your hands/arms before reaching into the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I'd just remove him. I never think trying to doctor a $3 fish worth the cost of the medications nor the risk to others in the tank.
    Agreed!! Although I think if you were attached to the fish then the cost doesn't matter. In this case however you didn't even know he was in the tank so I assume you aren't too attached..lol I would just remove it. Do massive WC and monitor others for symptoms.

PS As preventative measures for the next month or 2 I would also be extremely careful when working in the tank and with the water. Sanitize your hands thoroughly after working in tank also make sure you do not have any nicks or cuts on hands before sticking them into the tank. Hope it isn't as serious as it appears. Good Luck.
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 06-13-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have been following this thread, what do you mean wasting?? and why is it so bad/ dangerous did i miss something (reading or in the photos) im lost lol i know its not my thread but im still interested
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waack
    why is it so bad/ dangerous did i miss something (reading or in the photos) I'm lost lol i know its not my thread but im still interested
    A fish appearing to have a curved spine can be a symptom of Fish TB. TB is contagious to humans as well as other fish. In fish TB the spine appears curved because the fish has a tumor and it pushes healthy bone and tissue out of the way as it grows.

Quote Originally Posted by waack
    what do you mean wasting??
    Another symptom sometimes present in a case of fish TB is "wasting" tissue looking almost as if the air was sucked out of it. kinda caved in. this is usually around the abdomen and in TB very often on just one side of the fish.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, Ive got to confess that when i first saw the fish I thought that it was Tb. I spent a while reading up in here but still wanted other peoples 'First Thoughts'

The fish is gone now, its the first one that i've actually had to remove myself, which was a very big shame.

There was no wasting away on the fish, and nothing else seemed to be 'wrong' with him, he didnt seem in pain, just hiding all the time.

Im the only one that goes 'in' the tank as well, but ill certainly be taking extra precautions for the next couple of months !

0 Not allowed!
    TB is transferred by others eating off the remains of one who has it and died. Best to just get rid of those that you may suspect before that can happen.

Blaaaaaaaa......I need to clarify because I was wrong. TB is not transferred by dead infected fish eating others. That is neon tetra disease. TB is transferred just by being in with others.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-15-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the Ι help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    How long was this fish in hiding? Was it actually stuck somewhere?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?