· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    How long since you've done a water change? You should have done a large water change and checked the water before they were even added. Is there de-chlorinator in your water?
    I did 2 25% water changes the 2 days before getting them, and another several days before that. Nitrates are only at 5ppm.

Tango- My ph is very high and I already knew that-- It's at least 7.6 if not higher. I have 9 cherry barbs and a dwarf gourami who seem to be thriving in that water. I don't think it would be the ph, though-- One of the kuhlis seems to be doing fine, I lifted up the driftwood searching for him and he was swimming around the whole tank looking for a new hiding place just like they were doing at the lfs.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I just checked back-- The one who was acting sickly earlier finally passed. :( Only things I think could've gone wrong;

1) my acclimation mistake took them to their grave

2) they were wild-caught and couldn't stand my high ph

3) they were sick-- There was a dead one under a rock when the guy at the lfs lifted it up; The other one seemed fine though. I just assumed the dead one was smashed, the others were acting fine.

I hope the other one isn't dead somewhere under the gravel. I lifted everything up looking for him and he was nowhere to be found. If I don't find him by tomorrow evening I'll dig around in the gravel, but I'd rather not. If he's still alive I'm just going to return him and stick to my original plan of a school of cories...

I buried the dead one by my zucchini. Figured it was the best thing to do; My fish are going to be eating those zucchinis :)

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry about your loss.

About your pH, when you say high do you mean above 7? Kuhlie's prefer a pH of about 6-7.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. I find kuhlie loaches to be great for the aquarium (mine at least).

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs A gift - Tolley A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey You've been a great help, and a great addition to the forum! - harls_aussie For getting into SA  cichlids! - MCHRKiller 
    For all your support and kind comments. - Brookfish merry christmas - cocoa_pleco Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Have a Merry Xmas! - Demi ^_^ Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey merry freakin Xmas! :D - MCHRKiller Thanks for the help! - cer Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Happy Holidays! - korith Thanks for all your help - your a great mate! - Demi ^_^ thanks for trying to help me ID - The Red Severum thanks again! - The Red Severum You are an awsome person of my AC family - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Tango]

About your pH, when you say high do you mean above 7? Kuhlie's prefer a pH of about 6-7.
    /QUOTE]

Dose not matter about the pH. Stability is all that they need. Mine make it in 7.4 fine. All fish can alcimitize, given time and proper care when adding them to the tank. Drip aclimitization best..

By the sound of it, the Kulies must have had a ruff time. If all seems right from what I have read, I would not shop at that place if they are hard on the fish.

mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ph is around 8 or so. I know most fish don't mind all that much about their ph as long as they have time to get used to it, but that was me at fault. I'm not sure if you read but the bag fell in the water after I opened it. :( Atleast one survived, I suppose. I'm still not sure if I should buy more or just return the one left and get some cories. (or maybe get both :P)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, Personally if the last one is correct and eat well, I won't return it...
    If you want more, perhaps you could try a quarantine tank? It's a good way to keep in check illness in your main tank and to adapt your fish to the new environment. We're doing it for every fish we buy.
    Kuhli are fish that like the weirdest place to hide, the smaller the better. So don't spend too much time trying to find the other, because it could stress it or the other fish... They like to hide and you'll probably see them at night or when you're doing your water change.

Good luck!
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, forgot to mention I found the other poking his head out from the driftwood :P

I'd do a qt tank, but I just don't have the space for it atm.

0 Not allowed!
    That sucks, sorry you lost the other 2. I lost a member of my group a few weeks back and seemingly for no reason, so maybe kuhlis are more susceptible to stress. At least you've still got one that seems healthy.

"And when your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die"
    - Shannon Hoon

29g dismantled and downsized to 10g for college
    black tetras, raphael catfish, kuhli loaches and glofish

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs A gift - Tolley A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey You've been a great help, and a great addition to the forum! - harls_aussie For getting into SA  cichlids! - MCHRKiller 
    For all your support and kind comments. - Brookfish merry christmas - cocoa_pleco Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Have a Merry Xmas! - Demi ^_^ Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey merry freakin Xmas! :D - MCHRKiller Thanks for the help! - cer Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Happy Holidays! - korith Thanks for all your help - your a great mate! - Demi ^_^ thanks for trying to help me ID - The Red Severum thanks again! - The Red Severum You are an awsome person of my AC family - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    I never have seen any issue with them in stress. I have had them shiped to me, by plane van and over night and they have been fine. Never a bother or stressed, dashing around the bag. Just think they were sick, damaged from the shop IME.

mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think yours might have been sick to begin with. also were they kuhlli's or oblonga's? kuhlli's are banded, Oblonga's are black(they are cousins). I breed the pangio oblonga's and ship them quite often. Ive never had a complaint.

I can for sure tell you that nearly every pangio that is in a store is wild. They are very hard to breed in captivity let alone community tanks but another guy and myself breed them in community tanks. The smaller the substrate the better for them. as far as sharpness I wouldnt worry unless you are using busted glass for substrate.

Acclimation, I float them for 3 minutes with bag tied, then 27 minutes adding 8oz. of tank water every 10 minutes while floating. Ive never had any issues like this. The tank they breed in is 8.4 Ph tap w/ dechlor as well as a 6.2Ph RO supplied tank that I put a trio into last week.

Sorry for your loss.

I love these little guys, mine are hand fed like all my fish.(yes it does feel quite weird when they rope your fingers so they can show on a chunk of bloodworms.)

Also, depending on the sub species the red/pink gill plates and underside are normal.