· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your fish. - gabbyguppy   

Default question about plecos/other suckermouth cats

0 Not allowed!
    is it true that they need to *constantly* be grazing on algae?

Reason I'm asking is because I want to keep a few nerites with a small shoal (3-4) of otos, OR some sort of small pleco-- Most likely a butterfly. I'm just worried that with so many algae eating tank inhabitants, they'll be unhealthy. Is it not enough to just give them veggies and algae wafers often, or do they need a constant supply of algae?

On a side note, what pleco or algae eating cat would you recommend for a 29g planted tank? I'd like something that's not always hiding and thats addicted to veggies. butterlies and otos are my main thought night now. I was thinking a BN but none of my lfs have the standard color (they're all albino) and they're huge waste producers, and I don't want them to be knocking everything around. Also, butterflies do fine on their own, right? And I haven't been able to find any good info on butteflies, so any extra info I should know about would be apprectiated. Also, I'd prefer something that will also eat diatoms.
    Last edited by Jeddi; 06-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend L046 leopard frog pleco, or rubberlip for that size tank. They don't 'need' constant algae. Veggies, wafers, and sinking pellets will keep them happy.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I recommend L046 leopard frog pleco, or rubberlip for that size tank. They don't 'need' constant algae. Veggies, wafers, and sinking pellets will keep them happy.
    Alrighty, I just wanted to make sure I didn'toverfeedthese guys.

I'll look into those, but I've never seen the frst one in my lfs, and I think they have he rubbers out of stock.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget the veggies for them!
    Cucumber,zucchini,romain lettuce...Its all good for them.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Don't forget the veggies for them!
    Cucumber,zucchini,romain lettuce...Its all good for them.
    I won't! I know I won't be using every single bit of the veggies in my haden to cook with, so now I have something to do with them.

Can they eat yellow zucchini and different kinds of squash?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    if the plecos you want are not in stock, it is well worth it to wait, ask them to order, or find them from someone reputable online.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    They'll eat all kinds of squash and even fruits (apples, oranges etc ...).

As for suggestions on types, bulldog plecos and long tailed plecos would do well. Small Panaque would be nice. It depends on how much you're willing to invest, there are plenty of small plecos out there.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    It's not that they technically need to be constantly grazing. It's just that in the wild they've got larger areas to go over, not to mention generally harder food than you'd find at the pet shop.

Just throw a piece of harder veggie in there (and a piece of driftwood, depending on the species) regularly, and they'll be happy enough. So long as it's not something that'll fall apart quickly in the water, I generally throw something in for my pair at night, take it out in the morning.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a brown or red BN I have plenty on hand.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^