· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Clydesdales are awesome - Aeonflame   Welcome to AC, love the cory's - Brookfish   

Default Need a good snail eating loach

0 Not allowed!
    I have a healthy, cycled 20g tank that is planted and gets overrun by snails.

Right now I collect them by hand every week or so, and give them to my friend to feed to her turtle.

I'd like to get a loach that will eat the snails, or eat their eggs so I can get their numbers under control.

What would be a good candidate to add to my tank?

Currently in the tank I have corys, a betta that isn't very aggressive, and guppies.

I have a 125g tank that the loach could move to if it got too big- but I want something to put in the tank for at least a little while to knock down my snail numbers.

Thanks!
    20g planted, 14g planted, 125g planted, 224g tank- redesign in process, 29 QT

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Marbles! - Brhino   Time for a fish for your AC tank! - Rue   Happy Birthday 2010 - R2 Ranch   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   nice journal - Crispy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rothenb1   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    Well. Clown loaches are known as the best snail-eating loaches but I wouldn't put even 2 inchers in a 20gal for more than like... a week

You do have the 125g to move them into though if you're interested. Clowns are sensitive fish and do like to be in groups. As a matter of fact, all fish of the genus botia are social fish-- and they all like to eat snails. Botia of smaller species include: yoyo, polkadot, queen, zebra-- but these fish will most likely reach 5 inches or more. So you'd have to put them in the 125g anyway! But they're really great fish, entertaining and have a ton of personality.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    you could also consider assassin snails. I don't have personal experience, but as I understand it they eat other snails very efficiently and reproduce slowly.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I've found that small SA cichlids eat snails pretty effectively. My pair of oblongum apparently eat the baby snails as they hatch along with the adult ramshorns, because I never find small ones regardless of how many I throw into their tank. I've also noticed a major reduction in the snail population in the other 29 that houses a breeding pair of cutteri and a swarm of growing fry/juvies.
    I have a group of 11 polka-dot (kubotai) loaches in a 75. I never find baby snails in that tank, but the adult ramshorns seem to be unmolested.
    I have quite a number of cutteri available if you want any.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same problem and a friend has recommended dwarf chain loaches. they are quite small and placid so that's what I am going to try.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Assassin snails would also be a good option for a 20 gallon tank.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO adding fish to clean up a problem is not the best solution. Normally snails only become a problem when there is to much food in the tank, so they breed to eat it up. And die off when there is not enough to sustain the numbers.

Also the same with decaying plant matter.

So IME just a simple check over of the tank from how much the fish are getting fed and how clean the tank is from rubbish your snails should fix themselves up with out having to add other fish to fix it, which cuts down the cost and more so makes less stress on the fish.
    mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for a fellow SA cichlid lover! - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    i agree with toddnbecka, ca/sa cichlids are imo the best there is at wiping out snails. Unfortunately they are also one of the best at wiping out plants. I never noticed when i had them but keyholes might go to work on them, and they are fine with plants and pretty much any other tankmates.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cichlids to work my Severums make mince of them. But really there is way more simple ways to fix it, than to mix up species of fish and get tangled with Cichlids and planted tanks.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a list of snail eating fish. I believe it was originally posted on Usenet but it is now so old it is hard to tell the original author, hope it helps ya

BAA#:### = Baensch Aquarium Atlas volume #: page ### (Tetra Press editions)

Clown Loaches (Botia macracantha) notes: community fish, schooling. BAA1:370

Skunk Loach (Botia morleti, formerly Botia horae) (some say better than the Clown L.) BAA1:368

Puffers (Tetraodon species) notes: aggressive, keep alone.

Banjo catfish (Bunocephalus species)

Malawi Cichlids (Pseudotropheus & Melanochromis)

African Butterfly or Thomas' Cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi). BAA1:748

Malawi Cichlids (Pseudotropheus & Melanochromis species)

Yellow Labs, Electric Yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus) (Malawi Cichlid)

Chocolate Cichlid (Cichlasoma coryphaenoides / C. hellabruni)

Asian Bumblebee catfish (Leiocassis siamensis) BAA2:450

Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy) notes: VERY large, not recommended!

Betta/Fighting Fish (Betta splendens) notes: some do, some don't. BAA1:632

Keyhole cichlid (Aequidens maronii). BAA1:668.

Black ghost knifefish (Gymnotidae family)

various Lake Tanganyika Synodontis catfish species

Red Devil Cichlid (Amphilophus labiatus) (C.America)

Slender Bumphead Cichlid (Steatocranus gibbiceps) (Tanganyika)

Black-Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) S. American, large, may eat smaller fish.

These are listed in a book I have (Drs. Andrew & Baensch) as being snail eaters, but one person who has bred both claims they do not eat snails.

Opaline/Blue/Three Spot Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus)

Convict cichlids (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum) BAA1:690

Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus knerii) (he didn't breed these but kept them)

In addition, most other Botia species eat snails as well, but I didn't list any specific ones other than Clown & Skunk Loaches. Also it is a good bet that a large percentage of African cichlids will eat snails besides the ones listed above.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"