· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have Banjos and they have not touch one snail in their tank. Not a snail. There is more since I add the Banjos to the tank than before. But I have not tried to be to clean wanted to see what they did snail wise.

My Betta use to have the odd one. But not much.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Clydesdales are awesome - Aeonflame   Welcome to AC, love the cory's - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to go with a Polka Dot Loach. Botia Kubotai. There isn't a very good loach selection at the stores I visit but I have had my eyes on these loaches for a number of weeks.

The LFS had them in their tanks for about 3 months...each time I went back none had sold. They all appear very healthy, so I purchased one. Its in QT now so I can't tell if its eating snails, but I will keep everyone posted.

It is VERY cute, and eating well. Its very active. I just got one, due to the size and current stocking of the 20g I can't really add more. I might go back and get the others for my 125g tank, but they are about $20 each so its expensive to buy a whole school at once.
    20g planted, 14g planted, 125g planted, 224g tank- redesign in process, 29 QT

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Like most loaches they need to be in a School. Hope you get more?

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll second the assassin snail idea. They are pretty efficient at eating snails, look cool when they are out (although mine hides quite a bit), and won't take up tank space. I think they eat about a snail a day.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    You should have at least 5 kubotai, they're a very social species. You don't have to add them all at once, but I really wouldn't recommend keeping less than 3 for any length of time of your other fish will suffer.
    I had a group of 5 in a 29 with 5 L-204's and a school of 6 Von Rio tetras. The tetras disappeared one by one over a period of weeks, and 2 of the pleco's also went MIA w/out a trace. Since the tank was kept covered and there weren't any dried corpses on the floor behind or under the stand, the only logical explanation is that the kubotai were the culprits. Incidentally, they weren't lacking for food, cover, or clean water. Beautiful little fish, but actually aggressive enough to be kept with mid-size or a little larger cichlids.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Marbles! - Brhino   Time for a fish for your AC tank! - Rue   Happy Birthday 2010 - R2 Ranch   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   nice journal - Crispy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rothenb1   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    I love my polkadot loaches. I had 5 in my 30 gallon for a couple months with small tetras (bloodfin and penguin) and there were no deaths. They got big quickly so I just added them to my 90 with the SA/CA cichlids. Still doing well.

But I would agree, definitely get at least one more for the 20 gallon, your loach would be happier. When you move them to the 125, go for 5 at the least. I'd keep the loach in the 20 gallon only as long as his services are needed

20 dollars seems expensive for a polkadot loach. They're 10 dollars normally where I am, and actually are on sale at PetSmart for 4.50. If you're in Long Island I'd try and track a PetSmart down, get those fishies for cheap!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    The last ones I picked up were actually contaminants in a shipment of yoyo's at the lfs. I think I paid $3-4 each for them, same price as the yoyo's since that's what they were shipped/received as.
    I see them on aquabid occaisonally too; even with shipping you can get a better price than $20 each.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    please make sure you keep us updated as to how well they do at eating the snails and I will amend the list eventually I will post it on my blog.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Clydesdales are awesome - Aeonflame   Welcome to AC, love the cory's - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I would definitely like to get more but I think my 20g is overstocked as it is (Lots of guppy fry have survived to adult hood- I think my Betta is a Buddhist as he doesn't do a good job at eating the fry)

I have Corys in that tank too. My friend who has a lot of different loaches in her 75g tank, says that her loaches school w the Corys.

Maybe I can get one more, and them move them to the 125g after my snail population is under control, and add a few more to the 125.

I got this loach at Petland discounts. He was $18.99, before tax. The petsmart here has really crappy fish so I never buy from them. I haven't seen many other loaches (other than clown loaches) in any of the local stores. I do like clown loaches and want to get some eventually for my 125g.

I have a similar 14g tank,(Betta, sword tails Corys, and ottos) that I feed in the same manner, and I do not have a snail problem there. I do have snails, but their numbers are manageable and they never get out of control. One would think that if it was due to overfeeding my other tank would also have the same problem as I feed them about the same. I have also swapped plants between tanks so potentially they both could have been "infected" w the snails, but only the 20g has an out of control problem.
    Last edited by HeyNow; 07-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Went back to the store yesterday and bought the remaining two loaches. I was just going to get one but then felt bad for the one I was leaving behind so I got that one too.

I think they are eating snails as I had a few in the QT tank (hitch hikers on the marimo balls I threw in there) and now they seem to be gone.

My 20g is way overfiltered and well cycled, so I will add them all to there when they are out of QT and just monitor the tank to make sure it doesn't crash w the addition of the 3 fish. I can always put them in my 125g.

They are a lot of fun to watch- very active and quite funny in their personalities. They are rather pretty too- I love their markings.