· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by domjd05
    Oh boy.. I can't wait until I get myself into a SW tank, I'm gunna keep you guys busy, anyway, thanks for posting a thread, it'll be good to see what problems arise and how they can handled!
    It's been interesting so far. I'll be sure to document my mistakes so others can avoid them. First one...don't use old substrate. Second...wait 24 hours after mixing to test the sg otherwise it's not accurate.

Honestly, I need to do a lot more reading. I hadn't planned on getting a sw tank for another year, but this deal was so good I couldn't pass it up.

One thing that's really cool is seeing the creatures coming out of the live rock. A bunch of bright red tube worms have started emerging. I'm thinking of getting another piece of live rock from the lfs just to introduce some new life into the tank for diversity. The tank is cycling anyway, I figure it can't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    I'm thinking of getting another piece of live rock from the lfs just to introduce some new life into the tank for diversity. The tank is cycling anyway, I figure it can't hurt.
    Now is definitely the time to do it - once you put fish/corals in there you will be too scared of introducing baddies into the tank to want to add any more lr! At least I am. I am only putting in dead rock anymore, if I come across a peice I like.
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Won't the tube worms be dying slowly in the cycling process? I saw a bunch of little ones pop up in a display tank at the lfs once. Apprently they can/will reproduce successfully in aquariums. There were tiny tubes and feather dusters all over the tank for a while, but eventually something ate them.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    The way you're increasing salinity is a good way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    I'm keeping the lights on for about 7-8 hours a day (from when I get home until I go to bed). I've been just turning the regular lamp on for the most part, should I be running both lamps (regular and actinic)?
    Someting to think about: LIGHTING

In regards to your current lighting period, I would recommend keeping the lights OFF until the tank recycles and stablizes a bit.

The reason being, right now the system is 'nutrient rich' and IDEAL for fueling cyanobacteria and nuisance algae. At this point in time it hasn't shown up yet. Keeping the lights on now grants cyano and nuisance algae a great opportunity to establish an initial strong hold.

While cyano and nuisance algae typically assail many newly set up tanks, I think that by denying the tank light from the very beginning the cyano (when it appears) will be milder and the nuisance algae stage may even be bypassed.

It's easier to tackle the stuff when it when it has a harder time developing in the tank in the first place (e.g. after the tank has recycled and conditions have improved a bit) rather than dealing with it after it's been essentially been 'powered' up from being (taking advantage of the excess nutrients and light).

Think of it like this: The newly set up tank is an empty house filled with lots of old food. Cyano and nuisance algae are pests (which are attracted to the old food). Light is symbolized by open doors and windows. In this scenario pests can only enter the house when the doors or windows are open.

It's better to gradually remove the old food (which represents the improvement of water quality and reduction in excess nutrients), and start opening the windows and doors AFTER all the old food has been removed. Pests will be less likely to enter the house and when they do it will be in smaller numbers and easier to eliminate.

Compare that to a different house in which trash is also being gradually removed however the windows and doors are opened from day one which allows an infestation of pests. Pest eradication will eventually come but it will come faster and easier in the first scenario than in this one.

My take on lighting in a newly set up SW tank: unnecessary until the tank is completely re-cycled, stabilized a bit and has undergone its first water change. Basically lights-off until fish (or desireable photosynthetic livestock) are added.
    Last edited by kaybee; 06-11-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka
    Won't the tube worms be dying slowly in the cycling process? I saw a bunch of little ones pop up in a display tank at the lfs once. Apprently they can/will reproduce successfully in aquariums. There were tiny tubes and feather dusters all over the tank for a while, but eventually something ate them.
    I hope they don't, but I can't exactly remove them from the tank since they're on/in the live rock.

Kaybee, thanks for that info. I've turned the lights off and will leave them off until the cycle completes. Would it be better off to black out the tank with a blanket until then?
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Day 6, ammonia is still around 4ppm, though I think it's slightly lighter than 2 days ago. Should I do a wc to drop the ammonia a bit?

Also added a couple more pounds of live rock. Some of it had a bright orange colored algae on it, hopefully that's a good algae.

0 Not allowed!
    Pics

0 Not allowed!
    Got my poly-filter in today. Should I go ahead and add it to reduce the ammonia or am I better off letting the tank continue with it's cycle?

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure...I think you could leave the tank be...or add your poly-filter...don't think it will make a huge difference either way.

Nice pics!

I was in our reef store today (only buying water, nothing exciting...I have to control my BTA population before I can do anything at all with my tank)...and I actually thought of you! Some gorgeous corals...some I'd like for myself too, if I didn't have 200 million anemones...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rue!

Tank is nearing the end of the cycle.

Today's readings:
    Ammonia 0 ppm (yesterday was 4 ppm, day before was 8 ppm)
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 20 ppm
    pH 7.8

Tank is also entering the diatom phase and I've seen some of the hair algae too. I got a koralia nano pump to help with circulation and added it to the right side of the tank.