· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Thumbs up ~30 ppm co2 with an HOB filter

0 Not allowed!
    For any of you out there who may not have wanted to try this or just thought it was impossible to begin with, I've done it .

So this is where I started...

I used a 2 liter bottle for my co2 reactor and a 1 liter bottle as a muck catcher/bubble counter. In the co2 reactor, I have 2 cups of regular sugar, and 1/2 tsp. of Fleischmann's highly active yeast

seen here. Next, I had to make sure there was as little gas exchange as possible coming out of the filter (an Aqueon 20 HOB that came with my starter kit)

2. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!

Sooo, all I did was take off this lttle front piece here that I'm assuming is used for extra aeration and a place for beneficial bacteria to cultivate.

Here you can see the surface disturbance that the filter is creating; it looks a little more violent than with that piece still on, but I figured there would be less gas exchange this way.

Just threw a normal air stone on the end of the tubing for the co2 diffusion. The air stone was just a cheapo one that came with my petco air pump.

First shot of the tank with some bubbles going.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here's some of the bubbles comng out

And a shot of some of the finer bubbles. These things wind up all over the tank, even with a good amount making it to the surface and popping. Probably a good 1/4 gets blown back down into the tank from the filter and probably another 1/4 are so small and light that they just float around; I find a lot of bubbles building up on the undersides of leaves. Most of the bubbles rise very slowly to the top. I'm rather pleased with how well this air stone worked as a diffuser.

And, low and behold, five hours after setting this baby up, this is what I see :). The picture isn't dead on to the color I'm seeing, it's probably a little bit darker yet. It appears to be pretty much dead on the color of the little smiley face. The solution in the drop checker was made with exactly 2 ml of premade 4dkh solution I bought online and I added 2 drops of API pH tester.

Final shot of the tank. I'll definitely be looking into adding some nice plants here shortly :).
    Last edited by SunSchein89; 06-05-2010 at 04:28 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool set up. Where did you get that drop checker? I hate the one I have.
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know as all that CO2 is necessary with only two small plants, tho. Not a CO2 brain-child so will leave that to others to correct me.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I don't know as all that CO2 is necessary with only two small plants, tho. Not a CO2 brain-child so will leave that to others to correct me.
    I'm sure it would at least slightly benefit the few plants I have in there right now, but this tank is pretty new in terms of having plants in it; there are many more to come. I just wanted to make sure I had the whole thing up and running and figured out before I started putting some harder-to-keep plants into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by geowashlaw
    Cool set up. Where did you get that drop checker? I hate the one I have.
    I got mine at thatpetplace.com when I ordered my light fixture. Here's the LINK for it if you're interested. I would recommend finding a 4dkh solution and a reliable pH tester (like the pH drops that come with the API test kits most people have) to use instead of following the instructions or using the liquid it comes with, however.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Off topic, but, is that a yellow platy on the bottom? It almost looks like a yellow rainbowfish lol...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by domjd05
    Off topic, but, is that a yellow platy on the bottom? It almost looks like a yellow rainbowfish lol...
    That would be a balloon molly. I have a white/silver one in there too.