· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for plant light tips and tricks

0 Not allowed!
    So as I have posted a couple times in other threads... I am looking for a light option without spending more on the light than the entire set up. If this is possible.

I am setting up a 75G, I am planning on keeping Swords, Ferns, and Crypts.

I am not planning on having a lot of plants. Just a few to blend in with the rocks and driftwood. The light is going in a canopy.

Options
    1. Spend close to 300.00 on an aquarium light.

2. Go to HD and purchase a shop light with 2-4 32W T8 bulbs.

3. Have my dad build me a light. <- I showed him my Current Nova HOt5 light and he said he could make me one if I could find the ballast to run the lights and the sockets. The only ballasts I found where 200+$.

What am I looking for in order to grow these plants?
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    I'd go with number 2. It's cheap to buy, cheap to replace the bulbs and over and done with.

Get the 6700k's.

My lights sit right on the rim of the tank over open water. Have never knocked one in the water yet.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking that one too... Just need some opinions.

I'm putting up a canopy and might find a way to put them in without burning the wood. I would also add a fan to keep from overheating the lamps.
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    The lamps stay cool but you could just have an opening in the back of the canopy for heat to escape. I don't see as these lights put out any heat and you can grab the bulb after being on all day long.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool! Thanks Lady Hobbs! I think you may have made my mind up :)
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the home depot bulbs, just in case your mind was not entirely made up yet . Easy, cheap, and effective: what more could you ask for?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Home Depot has four light bulb halogens that are 24" long and cost under $55. They are in nice cases for under shelf mounting. Two units would do nice on a 75 gal. Creating small stand off feet would be no big deal (also, must use a glass top - these bulbs are exposed.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    have you checked out the lights on AH Supply? They go in a canopy and are cheaper than the ones that are encased.

www.ahsupply.com
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1638

Id go for that...you could still mount it in a canopy if you wanted, or if not its fine just to be on the rim of the tank.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions!
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community