· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default Mounting legs on light fixture

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. You all know I have been looking at lights for what seems like 15 years now. On 3 different sites, I have read:

Adjustable mounting legs not recommended for use with a hood enclosure or for aquariums using a glass canopy.

Something else to confuse me, I guess. What's the difference if the light lays on the glass or sits above the glass on legs? The only thing I can rationalize is sitting above the glass means the light directly hits the glass and laying on it the light goes thru the glass. Sounds stupid to me but there has to be a reason I'm not grasping.

How can you have a light without a top on the tank! My silver dollars would be laying on my floor.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Ok. You all know I have been looking at lights for what seems like 15 years now. On 3 different sites, I have read:

Adjustable mounting legs not recommended for use with a hood enclosure or for aquariums using a glass canopy.

Something else to confuse me, I guess. What's the difference if the light lays on the glass or sits above the glass on legs? The only thing I can rationalize is sitting above the glass means the light directly hits the glass and laying on it the light goes thru the glass. Sounds stupid to me but there has to be a reason I'm not grasping.

How can you have a light without a top on the tank! My silver dollars would be laying on my floor.
    The adjustable legs clamp onto the inside of the tank. Thus you can't really get a enclosure or a lid without carving some holes on the side, and even then you'd have to remove the light to take the hood off. I use the normal coralife mounting legs and have it sitting on a plexiglass cover, which is still kinda awkward but at least I can slide out the cover when I need to.

The additional height actually means you get less light going into the tank. However, if your particular fixture doesn't have a built in fan, it can get really hot if it's right on the glass with no ventilation. Ideally, you would have a lidless planted tank, as covers will absorb/reflect light, but as you know, it's not always possible.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I wondered if that could be the reason. With the versa-hoods, the back panel of glass is wider than the front opening so lights can be used better and shouldn't have to be removed just for feeding but I suppose removing the lights constantly would be a PITA. I just wondered if that was the reason or some mysterious other reason.

Thanks