· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your fish. - gabbyguppy   

Default New cherry barbs!

0 Not allowed!
    My tank has finally cycled and it's finally getting settled! I just bought 9 cherry barbs yesterday (6 females, 3 males) and I think I'm finally starting to be content with my aquascaping One of the male cherry barbs is a bit smaller than the others. Do you think he'll be bullied or anything? Also, I've just been feeding then flakes for now. Do you think a diet of... (btw. I feed 2-4 small meals every day.

primarily flake food every day
    freeze dried blood worms as 1 of the meals every other day (make that about 3-4 times a week. )
    live baby brine shrimp about 3-6 times a month

is good? Also, is it a good idea to stick in an algae wafer for them to nibble on every now and then? They seem to like it (one of them bit my finger when I was sticking the algae wafer in the tank )

and maybe some daphnia and wingless fruit flies when I have more time on my hands.

I know I can't get a "prefect" diet, but I'm looking to get as close as I can!

I'll have pics in a little bit Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    congrats on having the patience to endur a cycle. Good choice on cherry barbs. They are very mild mannered so I don't think the little one will be bullied. I think 2-4 small meals a day is way too much. I like the food choices you are providing, but I would just rotate those foods throughout the wee kand feed once a day or once every other day. Just my opinion though. The algae wafer is fine. Many tetras will eat them.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new fish, diet plan sounds good. Try not to feed to much.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright. Also, aren't cherry barbs supposed to be pretty active? Mine aren't exactly static, but I wouldn't call the active. They don't tend to swim very long distances or anything, they usually stay in one place, move a few inches, stay in one places, move a few inches... So on and so on.

I'll change the feeding, also. I should probably get a different flake food, too. What is your favorite flake food? I'm currently using nutrafin max, that's what my lfs suggested. I wasn't really too interested in diet at the time, so I didn't think all the different brands would matter much. I know better now.

Pics:

Give me opinions on my aquaspacing? :P I guess it's not all that great yet. My plants still need to mature and I don't have much going on other than plants, I'm going to get more hiding places in the form of rocks when I get new fish :) I also realize I need a LOT more in the upper part of the tank. Most of the driftwood my lfs is pretty small/flat and bulky... I haven't seen any "branchy" driftwood, but my friend is going to give me a piece soon. I'll probably have to edo the whole tank set up when i get it though :P

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ssness/063.jpg
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ssness/060.jpg

PS: Please excuse the mess around the tank... lol

fishy closeups:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ssness/066.jpg
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ssness/065.jpg
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ssness/067.jpg

Last one was right after I got them acclimated and put them in... They were exploring their new home... and looking for food :P

and sorry for having so much to say :P i just so excited.
    Last edited by Jeddi; 06-01-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for the ustream site! - Crispy   You need another fish for your AC tank! - Rue   For your cousin, I'm praying - little hawaii   thanks! - Crispy   panda cory - aquariums+me=happy   

0 Not allowed!
    nicenesss
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HOBBYBOY333?feature=mhum

Santa Claus has the right idea: visit people once a year
    Never take life to seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible that some of mine are "pregnant"? I know they can't really get pregnant, but when they're really plump does that mean they're getting ready to breed?

I couldn't take any good pictures, but anyway... Most of my females look like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_Barb_500.jpg

but a few of them look more like this

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...F1306Small.jpg

maybe even a bit bigger than that.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice cherries! Mine have been spawning like mad... And yes, I would definitely say that the females get very plump right before.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lets get your AC aquarium started.  Here ya go. - octoxpuss   

0 Not allowed!
    great fish~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaFish
    Nice cherries! Mine have been spawning like mad... And yes, I would definitely say that the females get very plump right before.
    Ah. :P But do you think it's likely that they'll actually have babies? I mean, I only have 3 males and seeing as they were just added to the tank, I'm not too sure they'll spawn. My water parameters are good, but I just don't expect them to be conditioned to spawn after they were recently added to my tank... Do you think they'll spawn?

I'm also not too sure I should have gotten so many... If they do have babies, they'll end up overrunning the tank I WANT them to breed, but I don't want to just give the fish away...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm, well to be honest I've only seen a couple of actual fry from their spawnings. I'm pretty sure they're getting eaten by the cherries and by the lemon tetras. I think that the natural predation will keep the numbers down. There's a very good chance you'll get some babies, but honestly it will be hard for them to make it with the adults.