· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find danio's - Lady Hobbs   they like to school - Lady Hobbs   getting a little happier now - Lady Hobbs   

Default Bill's 29 Gallon Freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    As some of you may have read I started a 29 gallon freshwater tank back in March. Tried a fishless cycle but was unsuccessful.

On May 22 I added 4 Zebra Danio's to start a "Cycle with Fish". Talking with Lady Hobbs she felt the 4 would not build enough bacteria. So the next day I added 4 more Danio's.

Of the items in my tank. The only thing I need to fix is my background. Some of it has pulled away.

Yesterday I tested my water and thought I seen a hint of ammonia (maybe only a .10 ppm). Today I got a more measurable reading of .25 ppm. Monitoring the water carefully and will do water changes as necessary.

Once my tank cycles I plan on stocking slowly:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    10 - 12 Cardinal Tetra's
    3 - 6 Red Wag Platies
    And still undecided to get some type of algae eater

My Tank Equipment:

29 Gallon Aqueon tank
    AC 70 Filter
    Marineland 150 watt Visi-Therm
    I also have a Marineland 100 watt Stealth Pro in as a backup
    Various fake plants and decor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bdj470; 05-26-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

how about a pair of blue rams - Lady Hobbs   enjoy your tank - Lady Hobbs   There were no dogs, so this'll have to do - jaysee   Well done! - Northernguy   Good job on the cycle - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdj470
    As some of you may have read I started a 29 gallon freshwater tank back in March. Tried a fishless cycle but was unsuccessful.

On May 22 I added 4 Zebra Danio's to start a "Cycle with Fish". Talking with Lady Hobbs she felt the 4 would not build enough bacteria. So the next day I added 4 more Danio's.

Of the items in my tank. The only thing I need to fix is my background. Some of it has pulled away.

Yesterday I tested my water and thought I seen a hint of ammonia (maybe only a .10 ppm). Today I got a more measurable reading of .25 ppm. Monitoring the water carefully and will do water changes as necessary.

Once my tank cycles I plan on stocking slowly:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    10 - 12 Cardinal Tetra's
    3 - 6 Red Wag Platies
    And still undecided to get some type of algae eater

My Tank Equipment:

29 Gallon Aqueon tank
    AC 70 Filter
    Marineland 150 watt Visi-Therm
    I also have a Marineland 100 watt Stealth Pro in as a backup
    Various fake plants and decor
    Nice looking tank where did you get the tree thingy on the left and that log on the right? that looks really cool. cant find decorations like that anywhere.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find danio's - Lady Hobbs   they like to school - Lady Hobbs   getting a little happier now - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmikeosh
    Nice looking tank where did you get the tree thingy on the left and that log on the right? that looks really cool. cant find decorations like that anywhere.
    Thanks.

I got the tree at Petsmart as well as the fake plants and grass in my tank. The fake log looking thing and the half sunken ship I got at Walmart. My fiance and her kids picked them out for me. Cannot disappoint them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a bottom feeder for the new tank! - Rue   Hang in there! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Little tank Im going to do my 20 gallon later this month but more on the dark side of things lol black is my name and black is my color. Might wanna hid the heater on the right side by laying it down in the back.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

how about a pair of blue rams - Lady Hobbs   enjoy your tank - Lady Hobbs   There were no dogs, so this'll have to do - jaysee   Well done! - Northernguy   Good job on the cycle - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.

I got the tree at Petsmart as well as the fake plants and grass in my tank. The fake log looking thing and the half sunken ship I got at Walmart. My fiance and her kids picked them out for me. Cannot disappoint them.
    lol... i almost picked out a sunken ship myself, but then returned it..lol..cool thanks I am going to look for that tree. Looks good.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Update - Cycling with fish

0 Not allowed!
    It has now been a week since I added my Danio's to my 29 gallon tank. All fish are doing fine. Although I am worried about one fish. It was on either Tuesday or Wednesday of last week when I noticed one of my Danio's had larger belly. It only protrudes down and not out. I am wondering if this fish has Dropsy?

For the past week I checked ammonia levels daily. Never really got higher then 0.25 ppm (maybe 0.40).

This morning I performed a partial water change of about 25%. Added Prime and Stability.

Water parameters:

Ammonia - 0.12 - 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 10 ppm (also tested out of the tap this way)
    pH - 7.6
    High pH - 7.4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    This morning I performed a partial water change of about 25%. Added Prime and Stability.
    Very smart move. I've had success with both when I started my 29 gallon a year ago.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default End of Week 2 Update

0 Not allowed!
    Well here I am. End of week 2 with my Cycle with fish.

As of around 11:30 a.m water parameters are:

Ammonia 0.25 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 10 ppm (as stated even out 10 ppm out of tap)

All Danio's appear to be doing good. They are very lively. It's hard to get a count on them sometimes to make sure no fish are missing (dead amongst the decor) as they are actively moving around.

Wiped down the inside of the tank on Thursday. Then I performed around a 50% water change as ammonia level was nearing 0.50 ppm.

I add Prime after a water change and Stability with every water change and every since May 30. Stability bottle says to dose daily for 7 days. Should I continue to add Stability after day 7? I know to add it after every water change.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    No, I would not keep adding stability. After 7 days the spore state bacteria should be established in your filter.

Remember Prime turns ammonia into ammonium, which is less toxic to your fish.
    But most ammonia test kits test for all forms of ammonia including ammonium, so you maybe be getting a false positive for ammonia.

You're testing positive for nitrates and 0 for nitrites which tells me your cycle has probably completed. Keep up the water changes and treat your tap water with Prime. It still takes 2 - 3 months for your tank to mature and become stable.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    You're testing positive for nitrates and 0 for nitrites which tells me your cycle has probably completed. Keep up the water changes and treat your tap water with Prime. It still takes 2 - 3 months for your tank to mature and become stable.
    My Nitrates reading from the tank are probably what is coming from my tap water. I wish my tank cycled but I have a feeling it is not. As with fishless cycle attemp I never seen any Nitrites. Same with my now cycling with fish. Week two and no Nitrites.

Yeah and I figured about three months for the tank to settle.