· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 3 gal nano?

Hybrid View

1. Default 3 gal nano?

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Lighting-3.../dp/B001EUL4DM

so have this tank and was considering turning it into a reef. Any recommendations that I should take as well as resources that anyone could point me towards starting one of these bad boys?

I understand that it will require more work and be a bit more taxing but I"m ready to do the work as well as commit a bit every day to this. I've had experience keeping high maintenance aquariums so I feel like I"m ready. Bring it on!

Thanks dudes.

And I literally don't know where to start in terms of SW so the basics first would really help.
    Vita non est vivere sed valere

2. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably go with a larger size tank than a 3 gallon. It will be difficult to stock because of your limited amount of space and smaller tanks are difficult to maintain, especially for beginners with saltwater!!

3. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I have the same tank that your considering......I love it!!!! If you don't have time to spend daily on maintance you might go in a different direction. The light system that comes with the tank isn't strong enough to keep many different corals. Also, you are limiting yourself to what kind of livestock that work well in 3 gallons.

Good Luck
    Kimberly

0 Not allowed!
    If your contemplating corals, I'd order a 12" fixture with compact lighting and use an AC70 as a modified refugium in the back to add more water into it.

You can probably go with some low lighting corals, inverts, and small gobies. Although I would be wary on the goby as it may jump out of the tank so maybe just inverts like sexy shrimp, peppermint, camel, etc. Maybe an emerald crab and a few blue hermits.

As far as corals go, maybe some zoanthids, mushrooms, polyps (get soft corals). You can probably do a few LPS but do research on the kind before getting (maybe galaxy or blastomussa merleti).

I highly recommend you keep up with daily checkup/top off and weekly water change to maintain proper nutrients/calcium levels.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.