· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default co2 and wet/dry filtration

0 Not allowed!
    As some of you know I have a DIY wet/dry filter on my planted 125. I'd like to start using co2 on this tank..
    Would the wet/dry filter defeat the purpose of using co2?
    This tank gets 9hrs of 2wpg 6500k lighting and has planted substrate. I am getting some growth but it could be better.
    I also dose lightly using flourish comp, but have seen no improvement.

Would flourish be a better option? (I've heard it melts plants).

Also can someone point me towards a good co2 monitoring kit?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    excel melts SOME plants.

I have Co2 with a wet/dry I just use a powered reactor and have the Co2 inline on the return line of my eheim pro 3 2080, however before the canister I just used the reactor inline on the pump line.

As for Co2 monitoring you have a few choices, a Co2 indicator OR a Ph monitor that controls the Ph via Co2.

0 Not allowed!
    The Wet/Dry is going to waste a lot of that CO2 that you are injecting. Yes, it will help some, but you would be far better off getting rid of the Wet/Dry if you are going to install a CO2 reactor. Excel works, but not nearly as well as CO2 injection. IIRC, the difference between CO2 and Excel is nearly 4x the growth with CO2 as you get with Excel.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    The Wet/Dry is going to waste a lot of that CO2 that you are injecting. Yes, it will help some, but you would be far better off getting rid of the Wet/Dry if you are going to install a CO2 reactor. Excel works, but not nearly as well as CO2 injection. IIRC, the difference between CO2 and Excel is nearly 4x the growth with CO2 as you get with Excel.
    I go through 5# of Co2 every 2-3 months. Maintaining a 6.2 Ph.

0 Not allowed!
    on what size tank? That size canister lasted me 4 months on a 125 maintaining 30ppm with just 2 canister filters.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    210 gallons.

Im not sure on the PPM yet as I am waiting that test kit and my three way iron test to ship in.

this is what I used to get my results
    Last edited by WhiteDevil; 05-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For some reason, my computer never showed any responses to this thread until today, strange..

I went ahead and got the pressurized co2 system, it's been running about a week, and I am holding a ph of 6.4... it's running at only 1bps, on my 125 that has wet/dry, and I have noticed new growth on just about everything except my tiger lotus plant... which is taking a beating due to the initial ph swings I went through when I first starting running the co2.

I did raise the water level in my sump a bit, so that the bio balls aren't as exposed as before, thus not SO much co2 is being wasted... but between the overflow and everything I know quite a bit's being wasted.

But, like I said I'm seeing a lot of growth!

I think a better diffuser will help more than anything right now.. just the cheap glass/ceramic diffuser they gave me does a lousy job of dissolving the co2 bubbles.