· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by domjd05
    Aw bummer, don't feel to bad, My red rainbow is in QT- after a 2 and a half (one way) hour drive to get him, and paying far more than he is worth.. I noticed only after he had been acclimated that he had ick...(I swore I checked him over really well..)

None of the others were affected luckily..

perhaps putting the lights on an automatic timer may stop this from happening again.
    IME fish can show a few spots after they've been brought home that weren't there when the fish was bought. Ich is always in the water, and the stress of the move can be enough to depress the immune system to the point that the fish becomes susceptable.

I quarantine all of my new fish. Usually, by the time the spots drop off, the fish is no longer stressed and it ends there. I used to do daily water changes, which cleared it up as well. However, I've gotten lazier and lazier and now I change the water when I change the others - the results are the same.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelJB
    That really sucks!! Sorry to hear!

Last summer on a 90 degree day the power went out and my BIG male bosemani rainbows were gone within a few hours and my 1 female and 1 of the smaller males I had at the time were the only survivors of the rainbows, all of the other fish lived. Rainbows specifically the males must be go VERY quick (way faster then other fish) for some reason when there is lack of oxygen.
    I found the same thing strange. I had a few tetra's in the tank, corys, angels and more bows that all appeared fine. Gez, a couple years ago, I lost my power for 21 hours and didn't loss any fish but the tank did not have the boesemani, either.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry to hear!! Question, do you have any plants in the tank? If so, wouldn't they provide oxygen for your fishes?
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow sorry to hear that Hobbs. It seems odd that they would go after 12 hours though because they are supposedly a very hardy species. I had a little rugrat shut off one of the power strips on my community tank last year and all were fine the next morning after 10-12 hrs, including 4 Boesmani and 4 4" Goyder River bows.

I know you said you don't want them, but I would really use timers for the lights. I have them for all of my tanks and it really is peace of mind knowing they'll go on/off the same time. It takes me out of the loop for possibly forgetting to do it, or having a mishap like yours, plus it's beneficial to the fish as far as consisitency goes. I'm sure it's nothing new to you, just giving my .02!
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    So sorry to hear!! Question, do you have any plants in the tank? If so, wouldn't they provide oxygen for your fishes?
    Tanks are stocked full of plants. No fish were even panting at the top of the tank, either. Just those 4 big bows laying on the bottom with another in stress. My lights are turned on each morning at 10 and back off at 8. I am my own timer.