· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Totally agreed with Lady. If there were a certain toxic level of those products, Lady's fish would all be very dead by now.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Especially as often as I do water changes.......and large ones.

Awards Showcase

thanks for good advice - hobbs ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09 We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09 
    Cheers Buddy! I appreciate it! - slingham64 for coming to Hobbs aid again - Lady Hobbs for answering 300 stupid ?? without blinking - Lady Hobbs thanks for the plant help. A clovers the closest gift to a plant. lol - cocoa_pleco Agree to Disagree....kinda - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for the help! - holbritter all you need now is some chips and salsa then you will be set. - sergo R.I.P. Canadian - gm72 I can't eat anymore. - Drumachine09 For your generosity - aliz340 
    my clado will be swimming in pop! thanks again! - xoolooxunny Have a martini on me.  It's the least I could do to say thanks for all the help you've given me. - hungryhound for kindness amd generosity - Algenco Thanks for the help all the time! - zackish Love Your Posts--Your Very Knowledgeable! :) - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldLenny
    Well, I'm glad you don't mind supporting the dechlor companies but I'd rather keep my hard earned money in my own pocket.

The question wasn't if it's worth it. Of course it's not worth it to pour all that dechlorinator in, and I even made a point to note that at the end. The question was can you overdose and the answer is no for the most part.

If you ONLY put a full and proper dose of dechlor in your tank when you first start it up. For example purposes, lets say the dechlor solution is 1ppm (I know that is high but it's a simple number for example purposes of this reply). Then do a 50% PWC, you would remove 50% of the dechlor also. Then you add another full dose of dechlor instead of a 50% dose when you add the removed 50% of water. This now increased your dechlor solution by 50% or up to 1.5ppm. Then your next 50% PWC, you would remove .75ppm but add 1ppm with the redose so now your dechlor is up to 1.75ppm. Then your next 50% PWC, you would remove .875ppm but add 1ppm so now you're up to 1.875ppm.

Keep going with this. It's pretty basic math. You hit a theoretical maximum of 2 ppm (tapers off), or twice the concentration of what you put in each time. This is how the EI (estimative index) for dosing fertilizers in a planted tank works.

Over the course of a year, you will be up to 5ppm and then 10ppm, etc.

See above. Start 10 feet from a line. Walk 5 feet, then 2.5 feet, then 1.25 feet, etc. You'll never hit the line (theoretically). You'll certainly never go by it.

At what level are you happy with? Do you think your fish can eventually live in 50% dechlor? I don't!

There is no reason to have to rely on overdosing dechlor to control ammonia/nitrites. These are things that should be handled by regular PWC's and proper stocking of a tank. Sure the dechlor companies tell you to do that so they can sell more product but it's just another chemical they are trying to sell to solve the minor issues that should be solved by providing frequent PWC's, filter maintenance and proper ecology in a tank.

The use of Seachem Prime is for emergency purposes like I said in my post. Even if you did 2 consecutive 50% water changes, you'd still have 25% of the original toxins in the tank. Prime can take care of that. It is by no means a solution for continued use.

Certainly, for folks with chlorine/chloramine treated tap/source water, it is a necessary chemical, unless they want to age the water long enough to allow the chlorine/chloramine to outgas (4days/20days) but I don't mind using this relatively safe chemical at the minimum safe dosage in order to be able to do regular PWC's on my tanks without having buckets and buckets of aging water sitting around for weeks on end (I have chloramines in my water).
    My argument was why you CAN overdose without issues. not why you SHOULD. I agree with you that there's no need to be putting in 2-3x the dosage each time. And your argument against my concentration babble is proven wrong by a little math.
    Last edited by Chrona; 06-03-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    Foshizzle.

0 Not allowed!
    Good information backed up by solid facts. Well said.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.