· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Non-Tropical Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible to keep fish like Bream or Largemouth Bass in an aquarium?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your tank! - Rue   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   for a fellow former sailor. - Scrup   Thank for your advice of the past  2 months - Cliff   For your celebration!lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I believe that some people do keep fish like that in aquariums but if that is something that you're considering I think you would definitely have to do research as to what the fish need as far as feeding and space (tank size) are concerned. I would imagine a large-mouth bass would need quite a large tank.

Also, you should probably check with your states DNR as there may be special rules about keeping fish like that. It may not even be allowed in your state (I don't know, but it's definitely something to look into).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it is possible. But first you need to check your state and county laws to make sure it is legal. Bass will need a very large tank, and even sunfish will need a 55+ depending on species. Also keep in mind that a lot of them are very aggressive and bass can eat anything they can fit in thier mouth.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Your state might require you to obtain a collector's permit before collecting wild specimens. I know that can be the case for saltwater tidal pool specimens, and it might apply to freshwater wild fish, as well. You'll need to research the legalities.

Keeping bass and other wild fish I would think would be pretty cool. Just learn well how to care for them.

--mermaidwannabe

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

u needed one, and we don't have a goby gift, so I give you an imitation lobster - lobsternoob   For your new tank, Cangrats man - Cliff   for putting up with my rants - Cliff   Sorry about your turtle. - cer   

0 Not allowed!
    I had a large mouth bass, bluegill, sunfish, carp, channel cats and I currently have a bullhead cat all caught in a lake or pond and transfered to my tanks, it's always possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I have some SA cichlids from Paraguay that prefer cooler water available. Australoheros oblongum, males grow to about 5", females more like 3-4". Winter temps down into the 50's are normal for them, and they're easier to get along with than more aggressive species like bluegills. You can keep an established pair in a 20L w/out any problems, something you won't be able to do with most native species.

^^^Please click on the eggs/dragons, thank you!^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    why not .i ever did like this and there is nothing wrong with them
    but i find they like more space so your aquarium should be as big as possible

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I know a couple of people with Bream in their tank. Theirs are hyperagressive.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you took the GT and JD back, you're much more likely to be successful now.  Good luck! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    ive kept bluegills before. theyre good fish cause they stay smaller. i just fed him minnows.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC! - Agassizii   glad you joined! - Lab_Rat   hiya - Jacko   Cyprinid. - Thanks. - VoidParadigm   North American fish expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    LMB need enormous tanks, a lot of food. 'Bream' can be any number of things, so you have a lot you can choose from. What is going to determine what kind of fish you want to keep will be dependent on tank size. Many sunfishes are aggressive, but there are exceptions. Bluegill are hardly small and are the second largest Lepomis sp. with redear sunfish being the largest. Next you have pumpkinseed, redbreast, and green sunfish - all of which can be found in NC if you wish to collect your own. However, all these fish are large, and aggressive (with redbreast and greens being more so). If you have a 75+ gallon tank, you could have these guys. There are also mid-range sunfish like black/redspotted sunfish and warmouth. If your tank is 55 gallons or less, you'd need smaller sunfish (some variant of longear, dollar, bantam, orangespotted, etc). Dollars are very aggressive, longears less so, and o-spot and bantam are very docile. I have done business with Brian Zimmerman before, and he is your source for buying Sunfishes. Check him out here http://zimmermansfish.com/ and see what sunfishes you like. He will give you more than enough info if you contact him.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!