· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default YoYo Loaches good for snails?

0 Not allowed!
    I was in walmart today and i seen YoYo Loaches for $4.80 each and they had 4 of them. So i started reading about them tonight. So i wonder how good are they for snails? I cant seem to stop my snail situation ive tried but they are sneaky aka me not doing it right.

Would they be good for snails to take a dent in them

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, most of the botia loaches eat snails. What size tank?
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Euro 65 Gallon its not the same 65 gallon US that is 36". Its like a 2 inch different to a 75 gallon measurements.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a few, somehow hitch a ride into my tank, with plants I rinsed and treated. Obviously I did something wrong to prevent them entering. I had them once before and went through great pains to rid the tank of them, including bleaching the ornaments and the canister filter hoses as I found them living anywhere there was water.

This time while reading about them, I discovered the good they do, so I decided to let them stay. Then I had a populations explosion. I probably had tens of thousands of them. Still I decide to let them stay, but thin them daily with a net. Two to three times everyday, I would remove about 40 of them from the glass, and the population was still increasing at a fast rate. They were everywhere, but especially in the gravel, thriving on the sludge.

I decided to do a major snail population thinning. I removed all of the plants (lots) and ornaments and set up my Vortex XL Diatom Filter with a foam Star filter carridge instead of the diatom filter as it would have plugged. I spent a couple of hours vaccuming the gravel, recycling the filter discharge back into the tank. I really stirred things up, but at the same time had two Fluval 404's running. The three filters did a good job of controlling the suspended matter.

Since I have a few snails left, and have been expecting the a big bloom again. It has not happened. In fact I have to really look to find some snails. I have been puzzling over it for some time. My theory (unproven) is, I had a lot of sludge build up. By removing it, I removed their main food source.

The few that remain, tend to hang out on a large piece of driftwood, with a few on the plants and they seem to favor the Hornwort. I have another theory, if they explode again, it maybe a barometer indicating it is time to set up the vaccum cleaner. For now I am in a wait and see mode, just observing.

What I learned by allowing them to remain was how much the over all tank conditions improved. Life got so much easier, and there was one less battle to fight.
    Last edited by Dacotah7; 05-12-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ....A few weeks ago maybe even more i did a almost major clean of the tank. I have sand by the way and i pulled ever plant out and stripped them off and i pulled ever snail that the eye could see..I only left whoever was buried in the sand and whatever eggs. I figured that would cut them down. It did but then it became more and more. I might just have to get that chemical and go by fresh sand strip the tank down and move the fish for a day or so.

I know snails are cleaners but my main reason for snails was i had kept dwarf puffers and they hunted them. I might just have to go get some again.

0 Not allowed!
    I would call YoYo's BAD for snails. LOL

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Loaches are great you should get them!!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I would call YoYo's BAD for snails. LOL
    haha agreed i saw them actually eating snails at the lfs, just ploppin them right into their mouth... it was pretty cool i'm not gonna lie haha however i'd shoot for something which would only keep the snail population in check since as said before they are beneficial to your tank but that's just my two cents haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!

Snail can help the tank i understand. But when i say its bad i mean my fish are cover in snails. I cant even see my sand because it so many snails on top of it. When i put my hand in the tank like my hand becomes covered in snails.

Ok maybe not that bad but....its just pretty ugly

Ill post pics later

0 Not allowed!
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you are REDICULOUSLY over feeding.

I don't think you need loaches, at least not for the purpose of snail control. What you need to do is cut back on your feeding. That will get the population back in check, and your tank will be generally healthier. It's going to take 3 months (or more if it's THAT bad) before you notice the difference, but as I said your tank will be healthier.

I'm not saying not to get loaches - I just don't agree with getting fish to solve (cover up) problems. Get the loaches because you want to keep loaches, not because you're overrun with snails.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L