· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is my BN Pleco sick or changing colour?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,
    Ive recently moved my male BN pleco over to a new tank (which I cycled for ten days and had a guppy in for a week before the move) to stop him breeding with my female - I think two spawns one about a week after the other is enough at the moment! Since Ive moved him his colour has changed to a light yellow/brown colour and Im worried he is sick.

I cant tell if his behaviour has changed much, he never eats alagae tablets or zuchinni like the female and the babies do (at least I havent seen him do it).

I tried moving some month old fry into the same tank as theyll need to end up their eventually due to space issues in current tank but that didnt go well. Only 2 of the ten I moved are still alive after 2 days.

Here are some photos from before and after unfortunately I dont have a clear shot of him before since he spend all his time in the cave with the fry but I do have a shot of JUST after he entered the tank and one of him now which is still changed.

In transition

Just entered (I cant remember if it was the same day or a day later)

A week later (although this image does make it appear like he is whiter rather than light yellow/brown due to the camera/light)

Mainly looking at the head in each photo shows the changes more accurately I think. Once again the last shot unfortunately doesnt show the right colours, it is a very, very light brown.

The guppy I have in the tank is very healthy by the way, Im not sure if the BN fry died because the water change was too early for them...

Also I have noticed a white furry substance on the wood in case that helps. It seems to attatch itself to things quick i.e. within 12-24hrs it would be over the cucumber I added to the tank.

Thankyou for any opinions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    im not sure about the colour change with im guessing is your main point. However how did u cycle fishless or with fish and how did u manage to complete a cycle in a week???? do u test the water if so wat are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

fellow Kentuckian - Algenco   congrats, great pic of the puppies! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Congratulations on APOTM - Celtic Fins   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gabbyguppy   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waack
    im not sure about the colour change with im guessing is your main point. However how did u cycle fishless or with fish and how did u manage to complete a cycle in a week???? do u test the water if so wat are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level??
    Good questions! I'm thinking this tank is not fully cycled and this poor fella is suffering the effects of high ammonia.

A water change might help him feel better.

Karen

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    mine is much younger but his coloration is the same. He is his "normal" coloration most of the time but gets lighter, like yours, when he's stressed. In my case the stress is when I'm doing water changes and messing with his driftwood, and he returns to normal coloration soon after I'm finished. If yours is staying the lighter color I would be worried that he's got a ongoing source of stress. I agree with the other folks that your tank may not actually be cycled.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

Yopu have a great looking bristle nose.
    I do agree that the poor guy is stressed out.That is why its coloring is like that.
    What are your perameters?Test the water and post your readings.
    What is your tank maintenance like.Water changes how much ,how often?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm set to do a water change tomorrow. Do you think 1/4 of the tank should be alright? The tank he is in now is about 70L I believe.

I've been changing the water of the tank he used to be in (55L) every week about 1/4 of the tank. This one is a bit crowded with all the fry so it really does need weekly changing. I actually realised that I added fish too quickly to his first tank (didnt have any bad results at least!), probably gave it 5 days when the store said 3 yet forums say more (confusing much XD), so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time. And yes it has had a couple of medium-large sized plants in it too but I hope to add more.

I admit I havent bought the testing kit as of yet (besides a ph tester) since the pet shop have only had one in stock that was overly elaborate and so expensive I really couldnt afford it. They said they usually have cheaper ones but didnt have any in stock and would call when they were. Im starting to think buying something online might be quicker since that was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I didnt realise it was so important to have the testers right up since Id once had guppies for so long, giving them regular water changes, and never had a noticable water problem with them all living for such a long time. Anyway I shall be altering that plan now!

Would something like this be better to buy

I probably wouldnt pay attention to hardness, I feel thats not really the problem though correct me otherwise if it is, but am I likely to have problems with nitrite/trate? Is this fixed with water changes also?

Or is ammonia the main problem and get something just for it?

Thankyou for all your help!

P.s. he's a tad darker today for whatever reason, thankgod its not lighter or I would worry myself to death XD
    Last edited by Daisakura; 05-13-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisakura
    I'm set to do a water change tomorrow. Do you think 1/4 of the tank should be alright? The tank he is in now is about 70L I believe.

I've been changing the water of the tank he used to be in (55L) every week about 1/4 of the tank. This one is a bit crowded with all the fry so it really does need weekly changing. I actually realised that I added fish too quickly to his first tank (didnt have any bad results at least!), probably gave it 5 days when the store said 3 yet forums say more (confusing much XD), so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time. And yes it has had a couple of medium-large sized plants in it too but I hope to add more.

I admit I havent bought the testing kit as of yet (besides a ph tester) since the pet shop have only had one in stock that was overly elaborate and so expensive I really couldnt afford it. They said they usually have cheaper ones but didnt have any in stock and would call when they were. Im starting to think buying something online might be quicker since that was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I didnt realise it was so important to have the testers right up since Id once had guppies for so long, giving them regular water changes, and never had a noticable water problem with them all living for such a long time. Anyway I shall be altering that plan now!

Would something like this be better to buy

I probably wouldnt pay attention to hardness, I feel thats not really the problem though correct me otherwise if it is, but am I likely to have problems with nitrite/trate? Is this fixed with water changes also?

Or is ammonia the main problem and get something just for it?

Thankyou for all your help!

P.s. he's a tad darker today for whatever reason, thankgod its not lighter or I would worry myself to death XD
    the stress is most likely to come from build up of ammonia in an uncycled tank, however if the hardness b/w your 2 tanks varied greatly this also would have added stress to your fish. it is hard to tell wat is stressing the fish out without knowing wats in the water. Seeing as you think the tank cycled in a week im guessing it wasnt, and ammonia/nitrites are stressing your fish. A API master test kit is good comes with everything excpet hardness tests. its could to hear he got a bit darker
    EDIT: saw wat you suggested to buy i wouldnt reccomend it test strips are known to be inaccurate liquid tests are better if possible

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Actually I said 2 weeks the tank was up and running, how long should it be?

The '5 days' tank was his first tank set up 3 months ago and he didnt have any problems then, its the other tank that is.

And thanks for the tip on the testers!
    Last edited by Daisakura; 05-13-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    ok hang on one thing when you say you 'cycled' the tank do u mean u just let the water filter and sit or did u add ammonia and let the benefical bacteria grow??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

fellow Kentuckian - Algenco   congrats, great pic of the puppies! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Congratulations on APOTM - Celtic Fins   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gabbyguppy   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    <so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time.>

During that time, did you have any fish in the tank or use a media (ammonia/fish food) to cycle the tank? You must have an ammonia source to feed and establish your 'good' bacteria.

Tests kits are an important part of fish keeping, but water changes are at the top of the list. You probably need to be doing daily water changes when a new tank starts to cycle.

Karen