· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Some Basic Rainbow questions...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I've been working on my 125g setup for a while now (50hrs+ workweek plus going to school 3/4 time and family tends to shorten your free time!)

I originally had planned to make this tank a discus tank, and I would still love to do so... but lately I've been eyeing some planted rainbow tanks and I think it may be the better fit for me!

So.. some questions.. are rainbows aggressive towards eachother? Can you mix different rainbow species? Or are they best kept seperated...?

Do they eat the plants?

What are some other possible tankmates?

This is a moderately planted SA style tank, with a wet/dry filtration and UV sterilization.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    We have a few members that are proud of their rainbows.
    I am sure they will be by soon!lol
    Have you read this (notice the links at the bottom of the page)
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/

And this
    http://badmanstropicalfish.com/rainbow.html
    (click on the fish pic for profile).
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    They do play with each other but do not generally hurt one another. The males will display to each other. It is actually quite the site. You can mix species, like most gregarious fish they do like to be in groups.

The will be fine with larger tetras, corys, loaches and plecos.

0 Not allowed!
    I love my rainbow fish and would recomend them to anyone who has a tank large enough for them.
    My rainbows don't fight but I only have once species. I know of a lot of people who mix species of rainbows though. I would recomend at least 5 of each species if you do decide to mix. The only time I know of rainbows being agressive is when they are spawning. But I guess you could get the occasinal agressive one.

Not sure if they eat plants or not. Im pretty sure they don't though...

Heres what I keep my bosemani's with:
    Bleeding Heart tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Platys, Corrys, Rubber Plecos, and Tiger barbs. When I had my dwarf gourami they never seemed to bother him either. Over all most community fish do well with rainbows. Is there any specific fish you are looking to house with them?

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    They do not eat plants, that I have ever seen.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow thanks for the responses guys, I am planning to keep them with cardinals, cories, maybe a few keyholes or even an angel... not really keeping it "south american" but I don't think my discus are going to put up with a 2 year old jumping up and down in front of the tank all day lol, and 2wpg 6500k lighting has me thinking I'll have spent several hundred dollars on fish that like to hide...

I googled some rainbow tanks, and WOW... I'm impressed, I've only ever kept a few boesmans (sp?) I never realized there was all the different species.. this is good news so far!

Very glad to here they don't eat plants... can anyone else verify this?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 8 boesemani (7 are males) and even have no problem with them over that one female. I just recently picked up 4 turquoise, my favorite! I've had the turqoise before but due to messed up shipping by USPS, a whole lot of them were killed and another purchase of new ones found me with some that were ill.

The turquoise are unigue in that the top of their head flashes from orange, green, yellow and red when stressed or spawning. It's quite a sight! They get along great together.

Best to spawn them 2 or 3 males to 1 female. They can get aggressive with their mates so the other males keep some of the aggression away from that female. They love planted tanks. It's their natural habitat.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow I'm excited the wife and I went rainbowfish hunting (for some reason they almost never are available here at least not the colorful males).. Well we found a whole bunch, and for a decent price! (Compared to some of the prices I've seen online).

Anyway, I got 4 australians, 1 tourquoise (loving it, definatlet getting more tourqs) and 1 boeseman. I'm going to keep hunting for them around here but probably have to go online for some of the rarer ones.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good. Best of luck with them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by domjd05
    Wow I'm excited the wife and I went rainbowfish hunting (for some reason they almost never are available here at least not the colorful males).. Well we found a whole bunch, and for a decent price! (Compared to some of the prices I've seen online).

Anyway, I got 4 australians, 1 tourquoise (loving it, definatlet getting more tourqs) and 1 boeseman. I'm going to keep hunting for them around here but probably have to go online for some of the rarer ones.
    Hopefully you'll have better luck with the Australians than I did. I started my 55 with 4 of them and had to get rid of them due to extremely aggressive behavior. They not only beat up on each other ( this was not typical Rainbow sparring, they were being mean and meant to do each other harm) and then they kept bugging the foolishness out of my Geo. They annoyed him to much with their biting attempts that he spent most of his time being almost completely black because he was so angry all the time.

You'll know if they start to act up. They'll patrol the tank and when they try to strike, their mouths will be wide open. It's kind of creepy actually as looking at them one wouldn't think they could open their mouths as wide as they are capable of.

If there is going to be a target fish, my bet is on the Turquoise as they are the most mellow when it comes to Bows.

Also before you order any of the rarer ones you do your research. Some Rainbow species will kill any other fish in the tank and are meant to be kept as a single species per tank.
    Last edited by Zilla; 05-09-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.