· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Cherry Barb agression?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I have a recently established 55G aquarium that I have just introduced 6 cherry barbs to, 3 male and 3 female. The first night the 6 of them got along and swam as one school almost as a "ball." Now today the males seem to be territorial. Most times, other than feeding, if a male or a female ventures into another male's territory he will chase the other away. One of the males has not seemed to establish his own territory and drifts around the center of the tank, not causing much harm. All 3 of the females do not care about each other or the males. The are content now nibbling away at the algae growing on the mopani wood.

The only other fish in the tank is an adult male betta and they seem to know better and not mess with him. What do you think is causing this? Also do you think they will continue to be this way or is it something common when put into a new environment?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    If they are new to the tank give it a few days and see what happens.They may need time to get accustomed to the tank.
    Keep an eye on the betta.Those fins are famous for getting nipped at.
    Cherry barbs are the least aggressive of the barbs but they are still barbs.lol

What else are you adding to the tank?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, it takes a few days minimum for most fish to get comfortable. Some are right away, while others take weeks.

Your barbs are just jockying for position - once they establish a pecking order I would expect things to change. Barbs will routinely chase each other though.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    What else are you adding to the tank?
    I plan to add glowlight tetras, neon tetras, silvetip tetras, otos, false jullii cory and maybe some zebra danios.

As for the barbs nipping the betta, they seem afraid of him and do not go near him. They dart away when they see him coming.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd give that Betta his own home in a 5-10 gallon so you won't have to worry about him. I'd really be worried with adding neons and glowlights to a tank with him.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    I've found glowlights to be very nippy. I had 9 of them and they tore apart one of my rams fins.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry barbs, when first put into a new home tank, establish a pecking order. The dominate male will be the brightest color red. The males always challenge each other by flaring. It's all part of establishing a hierarchy. They'll settle down after a couple of weeks and the males will start chasing the females around..and sometimes vise versa. I have 4 males in with 4 females and a dwarf gourami. the cherrys are always chasing each other around. But they never challenge the DG.

I think it would be a good idea to keep the betta on his own.
    Last edited by Taurus; 05-07-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will keep a close eye on the nipping. Haven't seen anyone even think about going near the betta. At first sign of stress or anything I will remove him. I just don't have anywhere to place the betta and I don't want to send him back to his unheated, unfiltered, 1 gallon bowl that he was imprisoned to.

Thanks for the advice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a fish! - Mith   thanks for da reps! - Mith   you needed one, not  to mention  you make  good  posts - bushwhacker   Congrats on your  new bn pleco!! - R2 Ranch   

0 Not allowed!
    I have neons and cherry barbs and they completely ignore my betta. Couldn't say anything about glowlights, though.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers"
    -250 Planted Community: Angel, Rainbowfish, Zebras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, Tiger Barbs, Gold Barbs, a large mixed school of cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, and a mated pair of Kribs (and whatever of their progney I haven't gotten rid of yet)
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had 2 male cherrys, and they spent all day hiding behind plants. They WERE the smallest in the tank but I think when fish are that small they need to be in groups to encourage bravery to roam around. Otherwise they will stay hiding even during feeding times and slowly starve.