· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Cheap lighting to good to be true?

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently working on setting up a 55g planted tank. I would like to have a least 2watts per gallon but 3 wpg would be prefered.

After shopping around for a while I have discovered that lighting can be rather expensive.

I'm really anxious to set up my aquarium so I dont have the patience to save up for expensive lights.

So, my question is, are the cheaper lights that are available too good to be true? Will they break in a week or even worse burn down my house?

Here is an example of one of the better deals that I have found:
    http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...rodID=293&HS=1

If this is not a good option does anyone have any other inexpensive ideas?

Any advice is appreaciated!

P.S. I dont mind if I have to buy new lighting in about a year. I just really want to get my new tank set up as soon as possible.

0 Not allowed!
    That's a saltwater light I believe altho I don't know much about lights. Check out the others he offers. A 3 light fixture without the blue blubs would give you more than the 3 watts per gallon you want. Nice site. I need lights myself so thanks for the good link.

According to this ad, they are tossing in one white and one blue light so you'll have to buy the others.

Back to say this is a great site!!!! I've been wanting a 65 watt 24 inch and have been pricing them at around $70. Great prices here. I may order the 48 inch 2 white lights for my 55 gallon. That would be nearly 3 watts per gallon.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even if I had to buy new bulbs it would still be cheaper than what I have seen elsewhere.

I am just worried that it will break on me.

Awards Showcase

I'm buying breakfast - Lady Hobbs gotta wash the burger down - Lady Hobbs Prost! - alizee340 Now you can buy some band aids for you sajica wounds! - Drumachine09 This is a cat.  This is a hat.  LOL - Lady Hobbs 
    *For Your Awesome Sense Of Style & For Being You!!* - MeganL3985 I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Funker Vogt! - Nick_Pavlovski You are pretty cool yrself, a stein of beer for you - crackatinny POTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    For giving me my first vote! - RichBowyer Frφhlich Weihnachten! - Fishalicious Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer A Fosters, non of that Heinikan - crackatinny Fur Deine Hilfe xxxx  Vielen Dank xxx - Fishalicious 
    sorry about hook......... - jbeining75 rest in peace Hook. Sorry for your loss - shalafi04 This is the closest thing to nerd, thank for the info - hpt84 

0 Not allowed!
    Just check if the bulbs of this lamps are compatible with Osram bulbs (means if Osram bulbs fit into this equipement).

Osram has lots of different "lightcolors" including special bulbs for planted tanks.

Now lighting an aquarium is a science for itself

Andrea

0 Not allowed!
    What confuses me is the legs to these lights! I've read several places that you don't use the legs over glass tops. Well.........???????? What do you do, leave the top off the tank? My fish would jump out.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    What confuses me is the legs to these lights! I've read several places that you don't use the legs over glass tops. Well.........???????? What do you do, leave the top off the tank? My fish would jump out.
    use a thin sheet of lexan (plexiglass) and cut just enough out for the feet to attach and for filter clearance.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

0 Not allowed!
    Really? I wanted to use all glass tops and place my lights on the glass but I guess too many watts would heat the tank too much or break the glass? Won't the plexiglass get cloudy and icky looking. Why don't they make tops that can be used with these? Let me know if you want me to ask you even more questions! LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by octopus44
    I am currently working on setting up a 55g planted tank. I would like to have a least 2watts per gallon but 3 wpg would be prefered.

After shopping around for a while I have discovered that lighting can be rather expensive.

I'm really anxious to set up my aquarium so I dont have the patience to save up for expensive lights.

So, my question is, are the cheaper lights that are available too good to be true? Will they break in a week or even worse burn down my house?

Here is an example of one of the better deals that I have found:
    http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...rodID=293&HS=1

If this is not a good option does anyone have any other inexpensive ideas?

Any advice is appreaciated!

P.S. I dont mind if I have to buy new lighting in about a year. I just really want to get my new tank set up as soon as possible.
    I have never heard of this brand but the bulbs alone are worth 99 dollars. Keep in mind that you would need to replace the actinic bulbs for a planted tank which could cost you between 30 and 80 dollars depending on which brand you went with. I do not know if it would break or not, but it could be worth it.

One thing to keep in mind, is that light has some serious power. It would give you close to 4.5 watts per gallon. You would need pressurized CO2 to keep the algae away.

I have 192 watts over a 46 gallon tank, but I can only run one 96 watt bulb with my DIY CO2 system because of algae. I need CO@ but it is not in the budget. (stupid shrimp tank).
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

0 Not allowed!
    The most expensive bulb I'm seeing is $24.

0 Not allowed!
    The coralifes are 27.99 at bigalsonline. So it looks like I over estimated a little. I know my 96 watt bulbs that are one size up are 50 dollars at my LFS, and went from there.

On line he should be able to get them for 30 to 60 dollars plus shipping. keep in mind that it has two actinic bulbs and he would want to replace both of them. The price I was quoting reflected buying two bulbs.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog