· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

Default Jenn's 10G Office Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I would make a journal to track the tank's progress. Right now I am almost ready to set the tank up, just need to pick up a filter and wait for the remainder of the parts to arrive. Originally I ordered a Mr.Aqua 11G rimless aquarium unfortunatly it arrived with a large crack in the bottom pane...shipping damage and inadequate packaging IMO. I opted for a refund as I didnt want to go through the wait and risk again...I went to walmart and bought a 10G aquarium for a fraction of how much that 11G rimless cost.

As the tank is going to be a high tech setup I opted for a Pierce cartridge style CO2 system, I figure the cartridges will last atleast a month and paintball CO2 cartridges should fit it as well. The system comes with; a regulator, CO2 cartridge and stand, bubble counter, check valve and atomizer. I may upgrade to a glass diffuser once everything is setup and running. Here is a stock photo of the CO2 kit.

I bought a very cheap 28watt coralife aqualight on ebay...fortunatly the ballast is powerful enough to drive up to a 40watt PC bulb. So I am going to swap out the 28watt 50/50 it came with with a Current 40watt Freshwater tube.

Substrate is a base of peat, lots of substrate fert tabs(2-3 boxes of Flourish) and then a bag of Eco-Complete. I have opted to totally overkill the substrate with ferts so I will be good to go on substrate fertilizing for atleast the next year as peat is supposed to absorb nutrients and hold them there for the plants to get at...so I will see if that theory holds true. Otherwise fertilizing will be Seachem NPK, and Trace.

Filtration I have yet to purchase, It is between an Eheim 2213...Cascade 500 and Fluval 104. Preferably the later to as the pipe will be easier to hide in my black abyss of a tank. 3 sides of the tank are painted black and the substrate is black.

The Hardscape is going to be rather simple I have 20lbs of ADA Ryuoh stone and lots of manzanita. Im not sure If I will use the manzanita right now or not...just depends on how I see the rocks working together and if it needs anything else to it.

Plants very simple assortment...Im going to try my hand at Blyxa, and add some Crypts. Im also going to attempt to grow some HC....try to find a good amount of it to start with and grow it emersed for about a week before filling the tank this theory supposidly allows the roots to get hold before being full of water. I have decided I am only trying HC once and if it fails Im not messing with it again. It would look awesome and the shrimp would love it...so its worth a try.

Livestock will be my 15 Chili Rasboras, 2 Tiger Nerites and 2 Red Spot Nerites as well as the gang of Cherry Shrimp. I may add 5 A.vespa cats down the road. These fish are micro, extremely low bioload producers and I will have a canister half the size of the tank...it should work well especially with the high plant growth rate I should get.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice office tank! Bet you'll get a lot of office visitors once it's up and going.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - AmyLynn   

0 Not allowed!
    I want to come work at your office!
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to you both

I do hope it turns out to be a nice tank, I built a little table for it today. I cant take much credit tho...I bought wood at lowes and they cut everything to size...so I just had to come home and with the SOs help screw it all together.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lets get your AC aquarium started.  Here ya go. - octoxpuss   

0 Not allowed!
    can't wait to see some pictures!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will probably start on the tank monday, do expect a fairly slow detailed journal.

In awesome news of the evening I scored a NIB Fluval 105 for $80 shipped, the magic of ebay and some patience. I had sworn off Fluval a few years ago due to the dissapointment of the 03 series...the 05 series is supposidly an entirely new filter so for the price I figured Id give it a shot. Plus its parts are going to be much easier to hide in this tank than a Rena or an Eheims would be. Once the substrate arrives(probably monday) I will get a hardscape going. Then order some HC and onto the emersed state for atleast 10 days

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing the progress on this Jenn!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have finally started on this journey!

First layers of the substrate...I crushed some laterite into a near powder and mixed with peat

I then capped it with 20lbs of Eco-Complete

I then did the hardscape, its ADA Ryuoh Stone

My bulb should come in tomorrow, these pics were taken with an incandescent desk lamp over the tank. I will also be filling the tank tomorrow and hooking up the Fluval 105

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lets get your AC aquarium started.  Here ya go. - octoxpuss   

0 Not allowed!
    i can't wait to see that ADA rock work you put in!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, better pics to come tomorrow when the bulb arrives. I will probably order plants over the weekend and start the planting process first of the week.