· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Angry sick clown loach

0 Not allowed!
    I have had 3 clown loaches in a 55 gal for a few months now and all was fine. About 2 weeks ago i bought 2 kribensis cichlids, Once in the 55 i realized the one was sick so i removed both of them to my 30 gal. The one krib was just lying on the bottom breathing really hard and lost color and then died the samr day. The second krib died the same way 2 days ago,but right after (about 3 days)they were in the 55 with tiger barbs and clowns, my smallest clown quit eating and other then eating 1 brine shrimp or bloodworm i have not seen him eat since.The water tested fine with 0 ammonia,0 nitrite,and 20 to 40 ppm of nitrate(hard to read api test strip).He also looks like he is twitching around his mouth,his fleshy lips come out and it appears as he blinks or his eye thorn pops out real quick. The other clowns dont seem to like him anymore if he even looks in the direction of a shrimp pellet they race to it. The tank the kribs died in there is 1 rosy barb with 2 white spots on her tail fin and white mark about 1/4 inch in diameter on her side. Other then those 2 fish all others seem fine,there is a few that very rarely scratch against something. I change 30% of the water every sunday and vac the gravel, the only other change is i added some live plants and changed the bulbs to zoo meds 50/50 (6500k). I have bought 4 different kind of ich meds and havent used any because i keep reading bad things can happen to my loaches and corydoras. Meds i purshased so far Nox ich,Super ick cure liquid, Super ick cure powder and kordon ich attack which i used one day and read its garbage and a waste of time. Im at a loss, Sorry to go on and on just wanted you to know everything. Thank you in advance.

2. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    If anyone has any idea as to what could be wrong with the clown loach as to why he has not eaten in over a week.His color his still dark, he is still swimming around maybe not as playful as he once was. Also what type of meds to use for ich if thats what my rosy has that wont hurt corys and African dwarf frogs. Any help at all would be great.

0 Not allowed!
    Loaches are noctural and mostly out at night. He could be eating when you are not observing him. Some are more shy than others, as well, and it could be he just hides more from you.

Do not treat for Ick unless you are positive your tank is infected with it. And then if you find out it is, treat with only 1/2 doses of medications and do not mix them. You can also treat the tank for Ick simply by raising the temp to around 86 for a couple weeks.

Medications and high heat are both stressful to fish so do neither unless you know you have ick. Loaches often scratch themselves.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the reply, Would he just all of a sudden start eating at night.He still comes up to the glass when i walk by, so i think oh great he might eat and put a variety of food in and he just swims off. I just got done watching them and i saw him scratch his side,so i paid close attention to that side and it looks like 1 small shiny dot. Could this be ich

0 Not allowed!
    Could be. You will probably be able to see it better on the fins. I put a piece of slate in my tank and my loaches rubbed themselves on it constantly. They did the same thing in a bare bottom tank. They just like to scratch naturally.

But keep an eye open for any more spots and when you buy new fish, always quarantine them for a couple weeks to make sure they aren't introducing Ick to your tank. Medications can burn their skin. Did you add charcoal and do a large water change to remove what you put in the tank previously?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did change 30% of the water and added 2 new cartridges to 1 of my emperor 400 the other i put new floss in until i can make it to a pet store and buy more cartridges.One other thing i just noticed when i came home this evening was a really bad odor coming from the tank. Should i change more water,its never had an odor before. Also just in the short time i was gone my 36 gal tank that i thought also had ich, now not so sure. The scales of the rosy's and 1 odessa barb are white not little specs but it looks like whole scales are turning white is this velvet. The ones that have the white scales are also darting every now and then in the tank. I have always done 25% water changes every sunday,never missed one and i gravel vac at the same time. I have done the same maintenance to both tanks and added ick attack from kordon (it's all natural it says)all at the same time so why would one tank develop a smell and not the other.Thank you so much for trying to help me with my current problems.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you checked for an ammonia spike? Your saying you changed out media in both filters had me wondering.

Patches of white would be fungus. Velvet is a golden brown/rust color and can easily be seen by shining a flashlight into the tank at night. The velvet shows easily that way.

PS.......I always used either sponge filters or floss. Replacing cartridges gets expensive.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went through a quite a few clown loaches in a few months. They either got ich immediately, or after about a month in-tank. It took a lot of trial and error but I learned a few hard lessons.

1. Acclimatisation is vital. Let the bag sit in the tank water with a bit of tank water in for half an hout with no lights.

2. When you change some water each week, you're putting cold tap water into a warm heated tank. This is actually very important. Don't bother sitting the bucket until you get room temp, it will never be warm enough. Instead, pour new water very slowly and gently in, not quickly and in large volumes.

3. I've killed every clown loach I treated with medicine.

Half dosage, quarter dosage, it makes no difference. Main tank, transfered to quarantine tank. They all died. So when one got ich I said stuff it, I'm not going to medicate. It was Aust summer, and without a heater the tank was 30 degrees celsius. I read that warm temp like that over a prolonged time will slowly kill the ich parasites.

After a month, it actually did. The clown loach healed itself, and it never spread to the rest.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellence
    I went through a quite a few clown loaches in a few months. They either got ich immediately, or after about a month in-tank. It took a lot of trial and error but I learned a few hard lessons.

1. Acclimatisation is vital. Let the bag sit in the tank water with a bit of tank water in for half an hout with no lights.
    this is very basic acclimation. there are many better ways to acclimate, all of which take longer than a half-hour. Best would be drip acclimation. Wild Turkey had a simple DIY drip for this.

2. When you change some water each week, you're putting cold tap water into a warm heated tank. This is actually very important. Don't bother sitting the bucket until you get room temp, it will never be warm enough. Instead, pour new water very slowly and gently in, not quickly and in large volumes.
    why are you putting cold water into your tank? I let an 80 degree bucket sit for 5 mins with dechlor, and it does not get cold.

3. I've killed every clown loach I treated with medicine.
    Most clowns at the LFS are small and weak. They need to be fat and over 2.5" IMO for meds. I have successfully treated CLs in the past using half-dose method.

Half dosage, quarter dosage, it makes no difference. Main tank, transfered to quarantine tank. They all died. So when one got ich I said stuff it, I'm not going to medicate. It was Aust summer, and without a heater the tank was 30 degrees celsius. I read that warm temp like that over a prolonged time will slowly kill the ich parasites.
    warmer temps speed up the life cycle of the ich, making it somewhat more manageable. there is a disease sticky from Dave66 explaining quite a bit of info on ich and it's life cycle.
    ich does not only live on your fish.. it's in your gravel.. upping your temp and doing frequent gravel vacs is probably the best thing for you right now. Try this for 10 days, vacuuming every other day.
    Thar she blows!!!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing that ever cured a sick Clown Loach for me was to
    do large water changes daily until they got better.
    They are very sensitive to water conditions and will usually
    be the first to show signs of any water problems.
    If you can get him to a seperate tank and keep doing daily
    water changes, like 50%, he may bounce back.
    You have to catch them early, when they get real dark, that's
    a warning.
    JC