· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Topsy-Turvy

1. Question Topsy-Turvy

0 Not allowed!
    One of my guppies was swimming sporadically in his ten gallon this morning. Generally pointing upwards, but often flipping around and seeming unable to keep himself afloat.

I took him out, and now he's swimming fine, though a little grumpily due to no friends being around.

No marks on his body, though his tail has been very gradually getting a bit ragged at the edges (which previously I just assumed to be due to the males nipping each other.)

Any idea what, if anything, it is?
    If he keeps up swimming straight, how long should I quarantine him before putting him back home?

Edit: Oh, right, and Am&trite = 0, Nitrate 5, and the tank is planted - if that makes any difference.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I doubt anyone is even awake yet, so, for now I'll just try to coax him into eating a small piece of pea.

Edit: The only other fish experiencing any problems with filter rate or swimming is my female, and since she's near her due date I don't really blame her for some problems. Good thing I noticed him spinning around, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed her. (Sidenote: She's still swimming straight and everything, just not as strongly as she used to. But her stomach is gravid-sized-huge, so I doubt there's any problem with her.)
    Last edited by VoidParadigm; 05-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another fish was just found dead in the main tank.

Help would be, y'know, helpful.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fourth post of mine in a row, I apologize.

Half a day has gone by.
    The tank is dead in comparison to how it was before.

The pregnant female I pulled seems fine.

Would be helpful if someone could at least offer some suggestions on what happened, so it can be prevented in the future, now that time to cure the inhabitants has expired.

Additional Info:
    -no new stock lately
    -no change in diet, though they did get their weekly bloodworms last night (all other fish in the house who got them from the same container have been fine)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm
    Fourth post of mine in a row, I apologize.

Half a day has gone by.
    The tank is dead in comparison to how it was before.

The pregnant female I pulled seems fine.

Would be helpful if someone could at least offer some suggestions on what happened, so it can be prevented in the future, now that time to cure the inhabitants has expired.

Additional Info:
    -no new stock lately
    -no change in diet, though they did get their weekly bloodworms last night (all other fish in the house who got them from the same container have been fine)
    I assume that the obvious issues of nitrogen compounds and PH has already been ruled out?

With the above dismissed my bet is on some contaminate getting into the water. I would "Nuke"(heavy bleach out) the tank and filter and start over.

Possible sources of contamination:
    Air freshiner
    Glass cleaner
    Soap residue on hands
    Perfume/colonge on hands
    Pestacides
    Children sneaking things into tank
    Second hand cigarette/cigar smoke too close to tank aeration sources
    Carpet cleaner or other household aerosols being used too close to aeration intakes.
    etc...you get the concept...hehehe
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help. I can rule out cigarettes, pesticides, perfume (due to allergies) and children for sure. Otherwise, I guess some cleaning supply must have made it into the tank somehow - however, even those are supposed to be "all natural" and "safe for use around animals." Guess if that's the actual cause, no one bothered to think about pet fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm
    Thanks for the help. I can rule out cigarettes, pesticides, perfume (due to allergies) and children for sure. Otherwise, I guess some cleaning supply must have made it into the tank somehow - however, even those are supposed to be "all natural" and "safe for use around animals." Guess if that's the actual cause, no one bothered to think about pet fish.
    There is very few household cleaning products "safe" or otherwise that will not effect fish if they get into the water.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"