· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auuugh!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

Default Auuugh!

0 Not allowed!
    So annoyed right now. My big hibernation tank I keep at my grandparent's house sprang a leak.

Which means I now have 35 inches of goldfish and 8 inches of pleco coming here for tonight and going home whenever they can get the tank dried and resealed. Sigh.

Are mini-cycles going to plague my tropical tanks immediately, or will they take a few days to start messing things up?

I asked the g-parents to bring the filter too, so I may just fill up a rubbermaid tub for them instead. Anyone know if rubbermaid is a safe brand for fish?
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup! Thats what I have used. Make sure you clean it out even if its new.
    Thats a better idea then using your tanks.

Why don't you reseal the tank.Its really not difficult and does not take long.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   

0 Not allowed!
    Fair enough. Main problem with the rubbermaid tubs would be finding where I put the cover, even if I just lightly set it on top. One of my big boys is a jumper (he once jumped two feet up and smacked me in the face -_-) so I'll at least have to find an old sheet or something to put over it.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Put a couple of boards across the top,set the lid on top of the boards and use some bungee cords to hold it in place.A canister filter would still work but not an HOB.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, thanks! Into the rubbermaid they'll go.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The hob will still work on it.lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Sterilite works too and is a bit cheaper than rubbermaid if you have to buy more.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Grandfather called the manufacturer of the tank, and SUPPOSEDLY so long as we take it back to where we bought it they have to replace it. Downside with this is that we bought it with a filter included, and all parts have to returned. It could take two days to get it out there, then another week to get the new one back out here. Five Goldfish and two Plecos can't go that long without a filter, especially in such an overstocked space. Buying yet another filter is not an option.

Here's what I can see as my only option.
    Taking Kiwi's (Three-Spot Gourami) filter and putting it on my largest rubbermaid tub. Since she's a Labyrinth Fish (can breathe air) she has the best chance out of every fish in this house of lasting that long without a filter, especially since her tank only has her in it.

Let the criticism begin. =\

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Is an air pump an option? could get creative with the filter media and make a temp sponge-like filter...It wouldn't be pretty or work great, but it would be better than nothing.

Could try wrapping the filter media around a sponge and using a rubber band or zipties to hold it in place.

Honestly you can make up for a filter with water changes in a gourami tank pretty easy I imagine...

Only problem I see is the filter getting clogged up fast and/or not even begining to handle the bio load of the goldies. You going to fast them while this happens?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    cut back on feeding with the gourami and should be good to go. Like has been mentioned, air driven sponge filters could save your bacon here.

--chris