· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default crossbeam problem

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I just found out that the crossbeam on my 55 gal tank (the part between the light fixtures) broke. Now my tank is bowing.... I'm getting my backup 10 gal set to put the few fish I have left so I can get the water out and relieve the pressure.

Is there any way to repair that or is the tank gone?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    I have read of using epoxy to bond a plastic over the break to hold it together. Definetly empty the tank at least part way until you get it fixed.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's what I'd do. First, I'd evacuate the fish and remove the water if it's healthy for your fish to do so, just in case something goes wrong.

First, find yourself a big clamp with rubber feet. Something like this:

get one big enough to span the width of your tank. Clamp that on there and carefully tighten it enough until the bowing stops. Don't overtighten it! You could end up cracking the tank. Once the tank is empty it may not be bowed at all, but this will still be a good idea to hold it in place.

I'd also get some loctite 5-minute epoxy or something similar. Make sure it says it works on plastic. You'll also need a peice of plastic, or wood, or metal (whatever looks decent that's the right shape to bridge the broken place on the crossbeam). Can't say what exactly to use here because I'm not sure what your brace looks like and where the break is. Anyhow, you'll want to span the break with your new piece of repair material, applying the epoxy to both sides. Make sure everything your boding is completely clean... you may want to sandpaper it a little if it's not. Clamp the pieces you're bonding together tightly, and give them plenty of time to dry (the epoxy will say how long for a full cure). Once it's cured, you should be able to remove all the clamps and refill the tank.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys. I took out over 3/4 water. I can't move the fish just yet the ammonia is still showing around .25

The break is almost dead center. If I can get a picture I'll try but not very good at it. When the tank was full the gap was 3/4 inch wide, now with the water mostly out it's only a small gap, so I should be safe for now I hope.

Thanks again :)

0 Not allowed!
    Get a piece of glass cut to exact distance, on the inside of the tank, from front to back and about 5-6 inches wide. Get the long edges beveled for safety as you don't want to get cut. Using a razor blade, 91% alcohol, and a lint free cloth clean the inside of the tank (front and back glass) where the new brace will adhere to the existing tank glass, right under the broken brace. Using 100% pure, clear silicone, "glue" the plate glass into place right below the original brace. Tape the glass to the broken brace to hold it securely in place then clamp the tank front and back together to hold the brace and glass together until the silicone cures. You can also glue the broken brace to add extra strength.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

0 Not allowed!
    I got a 55g that was like that, the brace broken right in the middle. What I did was get a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass, cut it so its 4" wide and the same length as the old brace. Using a tank safe glue/epoxy, the plexiglass goes under the old brace, and clamp it together. Then I drilled 2 holes on each end of the braces, and used nylon bolts to join both the braces together. I used the tank like that for over a year without any problem.

May want to lower the water level, so the tank doesn't bow out as much until you have a chance to fix the brace.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. Will work on it this weekend. Would aquarium silicone be alright to use as an adhesive?

I got all the water out and sadly I only found 1 zebra dano. Guess my baby MM platty found somewhere to hide and die.

Another thing I was curious about was I had just done a 100% clean up and replaced the tubing that was going from my water pump into my tank. I have a wet/dry filter. The old tubing was so opaq (sp) and in some spots kind of pinkish. So I replaced it. The new tubing is like 2 weeks old now and it's starting to show signs of something "growing" in it and becoming opaq (sp) also. Any ideas what this can be? Could it be from the kind of tubing it is? I purchased it at a Home Depot. Could it be beneficial bacteria growing in it? could it be bad bacteria? I just don't know and don't know if that could be a factor in my tank going bad so fast. (meaning losing so many fish in such short time).

Sorry if this derailed. Thanks again for the help.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger1
    Thanks guys. Will work on it this weekend. Would aquarium silicone be alright to use as an adhesive?
    If you are gonna join a new acrylic brace to your old one, don't use silicone. Gorilla glue works well and will bond the old to the new, just a few dollars, even walmart will carry it.

For the stuff in the tubes, could be anything, maybe just water deposits or bacteria, algae? I use tubing from homedepot/lowes on my canister filters and even my python is made using it, never had issues with it. I suppose you could clean the tubes, I just replace it instead when it gets too much gunk in it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger1
    Hey guys, I just found out that the crossbeam on my 55 gal tank (the part between the light fixtures) broke. Now my tank is bowing.... I'm getting my backup 10 gal set to put the few fish I have left so I can get the water out and relieve the pressure.

Is there any way to repair that or is the tank gone?

Thanks
    It is a common issue with 55 gallon tanks after several years some of them break in the brace area. I personally think it is a design flaw. Try these guys This is the link to thier generic section on tank frames. They can sell you the whole top frame if you give them a call and specify the dimensions. as you can see from the link it is cheap. If you empty the tank it is relatively easy to replace and it looks like new cause it will be..lol.
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 04-29-2010 at 05:24 AM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    I got a 55g that was like that, the brace broken right in the middle. What I did was get a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass, cut it so its 4" wide and the same length as the old brace. Using a tank safe glue/epoxy, the plexiglass goes under the old brace, and clamp it together. Then I drilled 2 holes on each end of the braces, and used nylon bolts to join both the braces together. I used the tank like that for over a year without any problem.

May want to lower the water level, so the tank doesn't bow out as much until you have a chance to fix the brace.
    This is the method i would use.

--chris