· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My Experience on Goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Not much but i was Bored so yeah.. i don't even think this is Thread Worthy :)

The Goldfish; A common Fish in the Aquarium Trade Which i don't recommend it for Starters Unless They have the
    Right Tank size for them Because they get Pretty Big Compared to Other Community Fish.

Recommended Tank Size / Housing:

A 15 Gallon - 20 Gallon Tank For a Single Fancy Goldfish And i Recommend at least 55g+ or a Pond For Comets/Commons
    Any additionals i Recommend 10 Gallons - 15 Gallons for Fancies and 30 Gallons - 40 Gallons to provide Space for them To
    grow and Reach There Maximum Size.

Feeding:
    A good Base would be Sinking Pellets,Floating Pellets and Flakes; Fresh Fruits
    Such as Mangoes and Bananas; Live Food such as Brine Shrimp, Tubifex Worms, Blood worms etc. As Snacks

Remember Never too Overfeed Especially to Fancies Like Pearlscales Which are Prone to Bloat Because of it's Crumped Body
    Shape (Egg shape) Form Only Feed them what they can consume in 2 Minutes - 3 Minutes; I also suggest
    You fast them once a week Preferably Weekends and Feed them Pea's To avoid Constipation and Bloating.

Also Avoid Overcrowding or Overstocking that's one thing i have picked up to Avoid Bad Water Quality Which Leads
    to Fin rot as Goldfish Produce alot of waste.

Goldfish Types and Sizes: (Courtesy of Lady Hobbs)

Common Goldfish 12 +
    Comet Goldfish 12 +
    Shubunkin Goldfish 10
    Fantail Goldfish 6
    Veiltail Goldfish 6-8
    Celestial Goldfish 5-6
    Bubble-Eye Goldfish 6-8
    Calico Goldfish also called the Shubunkin
    Butterfly Tail Goldfish 9
    Telescope-Eye Goldfish 8
    Ranchu Goldfish 6
    Moor Goldfish 10
    Oranda Goldfish 8-12
    Lionhead Goldfish 6
    Lionchu Goldfish 6
    Pearlscale Goldfish 8
    Ryukin Goldfish 4-6
    Wakin Goldfish 10
    Pom-Pon Goldfish 5
    Jikin Goldfish 9
    Note: There Are also Calico Types in Some of the Goldfish Mentioned Not just the Shubunkin.

Well That's All for Now I hope you now Realize How big They Really get and They're Not meant for Small Fish Bowls

Any Feedbacks Would be Appreciated

-Coco

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Ryukins can reach well over 6". A healthy well kept ryukin will easily reach 10".

Also may want to note if the measurements include the tail or not. Makes a big difference with the fancy tailed varieties when the tails can be just as long, if not longer than the fish itself.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks fairly decent, though I think 2-3 minutes feeding for flakes/pellets is too much. I don't feed my goldfish more than they can eat of that in 15 seconds.

If I let them have 2 minute long feedings I'd be going through a can of food every other day.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup
    Ryukins can reach well over 6". A healthy well kept ryukin will easily reach 10".

Also may want to note if the measurements include the tail or not. Makes a big difference with the fancy tailed varieties when the tails can be just as long, if not longer than the fish itself.

I do Agree with you Scrup Especially When They're of the Veiltail Variaties With Long Flowy Fins I'll Try to Get More info on Them if Need Be.

Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm
    Looks fairly decent, though I think 2-3 minutes feeding for flakes/pellets is too much. I don't feed my goldfish more than they can eat of that in 15 seconds.

If I let them have 2 minute long feedings I'd be going through a can of food every other day.
    What I mean in 2 Minute Long Feeds is Just Pinches of Flakes or Pellets I don't do it Myself though some Goldfish Experts in Other Forums and Some caresheets i've read Advice it.

Anyways Thanks for the Feedback Guys!

-Coco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't believe everything you read. =P There are still sites out there afterall that condone the use of bowls, Betta vases, and no filtration. Stuff like a bit generous feeding doesn't seem like much, but some people do truly take it to heart and give their goldfish constant food for those two minutes. Especially in the Fancy varieties this can cause compaction.

When doing up a caresheet always include only what you think is right, not just what other people tell you.

Examples for when I was starting in the hobby:
    Someone told me I could have three goldfish, two barbs and a pleco in a three gallon. And I was supposed to feed them four times a day.
    Someone told me then that I could have four Gouramis in a five gallon.
    (And of course all but one of those fish has since died, obviously, but still.)
    Those two tanks sounded a bit off to me even when I was just starting, but I didn't push the matter because I trusted in the person to tell me what was right.

And, sorry if this sounds lecturing, but really it's not. I just want you to make sure you're standing by what you think is the right thing to do. (The 55 gallon for a Common, for example. Most people would consider that overkill, but really, it's not and it produces beautifully shaped fish. Can't find it right now, but there's some guy on Youtube who has just 4 Fancies in a 200 gallon. They are the healthiest, prettiest Fancies I've ever seen - and I hate fancies. )

Okay, that turned kinda ranty. Sorry!
    Is a great caresheet otherwise, though, honest!

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't believe everything you read. =P There are still sites out there afterall that condone the use of bowls, Betta vases, and no filtration. Stuff like a bit generous feeding doesn't seem like much, but some people do truly take it to heart and give their goldfish constant food for those two minutes. Especially in the Fancy varieties this can cause compaction.

When doing up a caresheet always include only what you think is right, not just what other people tell you.

Examples for when I was starting in the hobby:
    Someone told me I could have three goldfish, two barbs and a pleco in a three gallon. And I was supposed to feed them four times a day.
    Someone told me then that I could have four Gouramis in a five gallon.
    (And of course all but one of those fish has since died, obviously, but still.)
    Those two tanks sounded a bit off to me even when I was just starting, but I didn't push the matter because I trusted in the person to tell me what was right.

And, sorry if this sounds lecturing, but really it's not. I just want you to make sure you're standing by what you think is the right thing to do. (The 55 gallon for a Common, for example. Most people would consider that overkill, but really, it's not and it produces beautifully shaped fish. Can't find it right now, but there's some guy on Youtube who has just 4 Fancies in a 200 gallon. They are the healthiest, prettiest Fancies I've ever seen - and I hate fancies. )

Okay, that turned kinda ranty. Sorry!
    Is a great caresheet otherwise, though, honest!
    Lol! Its alright! i Love having Feedbacks from Other members! But really 4 Fancies in a 200gallon? Can you send me the Link? :)
    15 Gallon Goldfish Tank
    x2 Pearlscale Goldfish (The other One is Temporary)

You learn From Failing and you get better through Experience

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, here we go. Found it.

Hard to see how big the tank actually is until the picture of the photographer at the end. Either way, whether they took their tank measurements correctly or not, those goldfish are still extremely well cared for, clean and rather happy looking.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really like that those fancies have so much space to swim around in. They look beautiful. But, personnally I think that tank needs more plants.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, here we go. Found it.

Hard to see how big the tank actually is until the picture of the photographer at the end. Either way, whether they took their tank measurements correctly or not, those goldfish are still extremely well cared for, clean and rather happy looking.
    Such Beauties! Yes it's definitely a 200g Tall Maybe that's why he can't do much for Aquascaping :).
    15 Gallon Goldfish Tank
    x2 Pearlscale Goldfish (The other One is Temporary)

You learn From Failing and you get better through Experience

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool post.

I like that video to but it seems like they dont even use the top 20% of the tank. I sure bet they are happier fish then most tho.

This shape tank gave me an DIY decoration idea.
    basically cut some island shaped pieces of foam out and attach a long pole into the bottom of it. Then to the bottom of the pole attach some light plants that dont need rooting. paint the foam and pole accordingly with water safe paint. some attention would need to be payed to that the plants buoyancy doesnt flip the island onto its side.