· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

Default Need help Diagnosing dead dog

0 Not allowed!
    Well Kaiser ( German shepard, 7 months old, living with us since he was 2 months) died the night to today after a very rapid moving disease that so far has every one confused and I thought I would ask if anyone here has any ideas. I have some theories myself but I will not mention them in this post.

About 1 .5 weeks ago Kaiser started limping and his foot got infected. He was at this point put on antibiotics (broad spectrum) to hep him combat that infection. The hair on the foot was also cut which revealed a tick that was removed. The inflammation got worse and starting causing a wound in him but than after about 24 hours the antibiotic started having an effect and the infection (and swolling) went down. The soar was cleaned. The soars started healing very well. He started using the foot as normal-

Then 4 days ago he started showing occasional blood drops from the nose, no snot, no sneezing, no couching, no vomiting, no laboured breathing. Not a lot of blood but a little. It was believed that this might be a vitamin K deficiency due to the antibiotic knocking out his stomach bacteria that produces vitamin K. He was therefore taken of the antibiotics. ( he had at this point received a full dosage and showed no signs of infection.) and given a lot of vitamin K

3 days ago the blood dripping diminished a lot but he started to have snot running from the nose. Still no sneezing, no couching, no vomiting, no laboured breathing and he was eating a drinking well. All in all it didn’t seem too bad.

2 days ago the blood had almost ended completely but his nose had become congested and he needed to breath through his mouth. Still eating and drinking well. Still active although he slept a bit more than normal. Started showing signs of a gum infection.

Yesterday: The gum infection was worse and ha started bleeding in his mouth. The nose was still congested and he had a bit laboured breathing. He also had a bit poor balance. At this point it was decided to put him back on antibiotics. He was also given a antifungal that was chosen not to have any side effects together with the antibiotics as well as liver extract and vitamin b complex booster injections. Yesterday he still wanted to eat and ate a little (drank a little) but seemed to have pain associated with eating. He did eat soft stuff. Not surprising considering his gum infection.

Yesterday night the antibiotics seemed to work. His nasal passages had cleared up, he could breath through his nose again and his breathing was not laboured. He was also a bit more alert and didn’t sleep much. He spent most of his time watching what we was doing.and seemed to get his balance back.

Than tonight at about 3-4 am he died silently in his sleep. There are no signs of any duress preceding the death. His eyes and mouth was closed. He did not seemed to have had trouble breathing and there are no sign of any seizure.

Any idea of what this might have been. It effectively killed what was a healthy dog in 72 hours. (albeit on antibiotics for a localized problem that cleared up)

He was vaccinated for all deadly diseases that there are vaccines for. He was de-parasited/de-wormed every 2 weeks so that is not a likely problem

He never showed any discomfort, sign of pain, coughing, vomiting, sneezing. He ate almost to the end.
    Last edited by William; 04-27-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Marbles! - Brhino   Time for a fish for your AC tank! - Rue   Happy Birthday 2010 - R2 Ranch   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   nice journal - Crispy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rothenb1   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I have a few questions:

Where are you located?
    What canine diseases was he immunized for?
    What were you using for heartworm meds?
    Was the dog receiving flea/tick preventative medicine?
    Did it seem like he had a fever?
    Did it seem like he had a rapid pulse?

Unfortunately it may be impossible to get a diagnosis without a necropsy because there seems to be other factors at play here (the infection and vitamin k deficiency). Any treatment for these symptoms may have suppressed other symptoms.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For another washingtonian! - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rothenb1
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I have a few questions:

Where are you located?
    What were you using for heartworm meds?
    Was the dog receiving flea/tick preventative medicine?
    Did it seem like he had a fever?
    Did it seem like he had a rapid pulse?

Unfortunately it may be impossible to get a diagnosis without a necropsy because there seems to be other factors at play here (the infection and vitamin k deficiency). Any treatment for these symptoms may have suppressed other symptoms.
    Didn't you read ittt? He's in paradise!!! I'm sorry for your loss though, bud.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I would have suspected Parvo which kills many pups not vaccinated against it but that's generally lots of vomiting and diarrhea. Your dog almost sounds as he had a lung infection or possibly even a blood clot in his lungs. Also wonder if he could have had blood poisioning from the foot infection. You'll probably never know at this point.

I'm so sorry, William, you lost your beloved dog knowing how much you love your animals. He knows you loved him while he was in your care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    He was vaccinated for parvo, Corona, parainfluenza, leptospira, rabies, pseudo rabies, adendovirus, hemmoragick fever, distemper and I might be forgetting something.

Where are you located? Nicaragua

What were you using for heartworm meds? First one that was administered by the vet. dont know the name. Then pirantel for internal worms / Parasites and asuntal for external.

Was the dog receiving flea/tick preventative medicine? Yes

Did it seem like he had a fever? No

Did it seem like he had a rapid pulse? Early during the last day but it soon past.

I am well aware that I likely never know but I still want to hear if anyone had any ideas. they do not do necropsis here.

I considered blood poisining as well but consider that the foot healed well before this started i am not sure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    About Vitamin K deficiency. That was a theory that likely was wrong due to the development that followed. He has after all only been on antibiotic a week and normally have vitamin k in his diet.

It should also be mentioned that I have two pups that show no sign of being infected. A friend bought a dog from the same breeder (as kaiser) after us and that died in distemper within 3 weeks. The pups are from two different breeders.
    Last edited by William; 04-27-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry for your loss. =(

It sounds to me like this bite was just something else.

The bleeding from the nose sounds like he may have had a tumor or maybe cancer. Feh! I don't even like saying that as I lost my Shepard to cancer of the mouth 3 years ago this coming June. It still hurts and it sucks!

Lymes Disease goes after the joints and I'm not sure if you even have ticks there that would carry it. Here the cause of the problem is deer ticks, but dogs don't just suddenly crash from it, although they can get really uncomfortable if left unchecked.

Did he get into anything? Anti-freeze, pesticides? Cleaners? Except for the anti-freeze, chemical burns from things like pesticides or cleaners usually cause the animal to paw at their mouths and usally have some type of burns on their lips or tongue.

Any weird behavior going on before that? While necropsy isn't a pleasant thought, why don't they do them?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any other suggestions as to what happened, just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss.

As you can tell from my avitar, I'm really close to my guys.

They can become a very large part of your life before you know it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Damn William, I wish I could tell you :/
    Sorry for the loss..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Marbles! - Brhino   Time for a fish for your AC tank! - Rue   Happy Birthday 2010 - R2 Ranch   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   nice journal - Crispy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rothenb1   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you did everything right. I'm going to agree with Hobbs, sounds like a lung problem. I was thinking pneumonia but you've ruled out some of the other symptoms. A fast-growing tumor seems likely. Cancers that attack young dogs tend to be hereditary, but I don't think lung cancer falls into that category.

Again I'm really sorry. Feel better. If you can, go for the necropsy. It might give you some closure.