· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why paint the back of my aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    I was just wondering why people paint the back of their aquariums black... What is the benefit?

0 Not allowed!
    Mainly its for aesthetic reasons. It hides the cords and filters and makes the fish and plant's colors pop. The other reason people do it it because with one side of the tank blacked out it can calm the fish down. They don't have to be watching all four sides for "predators". Since most of my tanks are backed up close to a wall anyways I haven't really noticed it having an effect like that, but others can chime in
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

0 Not allowed!
    Well some people use store bought backgrounds, basics a sheet of plastic with some image of it or just a black sheet and stick it to the back of the tank. Whatever colour you paint the back of the tank, it looks good I think. I find many fish and even the plants stand out better against a black background, works well to show off contents of the tank. Some people may even black out the sides of the tank as well, so only the front glass is viewable. Helps with skittish fish.

With a taped on background, you have to worry about water getting back there and making unsightly watermarks. No problem with that with paint.

And like wolf_eyes said, it really does hide the cables, filters intakes/outtakes nicely, as well the heater. Can even paint the filter hoses a black colour so they blend into the background, and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyhow its just personal preference. Some like purple gravel, some like black. Some like shrimp, others consider them bait:p

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use black foam board from walmart to the same effect pretty much. If you put green or red or whatever colors your fish or plants are as a background, they aren't going to look near as pretty because they'll be drowned out in the color. Black just has a nice showcase-type look to it not to mention it can make fish feel more secure/hide wires as stated above, but I've noticed most equipment for fish tanks are black as well so it helps to kind of make them blend into the background. Trust me, if you can run by walmart and pick up a piece of foam board for like $3, cut it to size, and tape it to the back, you'll notice a difference immediately in how your fish tank looks. One of the better investments you can make on a tank IMO. I also see people use dark blues a lot, especially in reef tanks to give a more deep-sea look. I personally, and no offense to the many on this site that don't use backgrounds, hate seeing the wall behind or wires hanging down in the view of the tank. The only situation where I would not use a background is if the tank was in the middle of a room and designed to be seen from all angles, but most tanks you see have a definite front view to them.

Edit: the only reason I say to use foam board is because I know it works personally and is cheap. Painting may look better for the extra money, but I haven't seen it up close in person before so I can't really comment on it.
    Last edited by SunSchein89; 04-26-2010 at 09:22 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Uh-hu... It sounds interesting! I should look into it...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to hijack to the thread, but for those who paint their tanks did you use a rattle can or did you roll on the paint ? And has anyone tried to remove the paint ? I imagine on a glass tank you can scrape it all off cleaningly in 20 minutes or so with a razor blade, no ?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkingGrue
    Not to hijack to the thread, but for those who paint their tanks did you use a rattle can or did you roll on the paint ? And has anyone tried to remove the paint ? I imagine on a glass tank you can scrape it all off cleaningly in 20 minutes or so with a razor blade, no ?
    I used oil based paint on one of my tanks. It peeled off pretty easily when I wanted it off.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    walmart 98 cent black flat primer.(get a spray can adapter, makes the finish alot nicer and leaves your thumb or trigger finger un-numb.)

I paint mine black for depth perception, it makes the tank appear alot deeper then it is.

Greens are iffy, darker greens really make the fish pop and the plants, even the green ones. Two of my tanks are painted, one has a fabric background with iron on fabric velcro...basically in less them 5 minutes I can change out my background to whatever I want. I do prefer the hunter greens and blacks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkingGrue
    I have sprayed,brushed and rolled. Rolling is by far the easiest.Use one strip of tape on the sides,top,and bottom,and your good to go. If you roll,get a foam roller.The fuzzy kind will leave little bits of fuzz on the glass.

Using a brush works,but takes more time,and needs more coats.

Spaying works well,but you have to tape off everything but the back,which is a pain.

I have used latex,oil based,and acrylic. The latex comes off very easy.Peels right off. I have never removed the oil,or acrylic,but don't imagine it would be that difficult. Oil based with a foam roller goes on the easiest,IME,but smells horrible. Take the tank outside to do it if you can.

0 Not allowed!
    'Cause it looks Dead Sexxxxxy! :P

Acrylic brush on, roll on as well. Painted with rattle can too. Easier to do with a can but you can brush or roll on acrylic in your house and not worry about getting paint in the tank.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube