· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Goldfish keepers need goldfish :D - Xavier   

Default Dynara's 40 gallon planted

0 Not allowed!
    So I thought I'd keep a journal for this tank as it's my first real attempt at a planted setup.

Equipment is as follows:
    Tank: 40 gallon (36" x 15" x 18") with pine stand
    Filtration: Eheim Classis 2213 and AquaClear 70
    Heater: 150w but thinking of upping this to a 200w
    Light: Hagen Glo T5HO 2x39w (don't have this yet but about to order it)

My current thinking is to do a Southeast Asian biotope with small fish that will complement the plants - so nothing too flashy and distracting (but still beautiful). I want the plants/aquascaping to be as much a focus as the fish. Never attempted anything like this before and have no idea if I can pull it of to my satisfaction but, hey, it'll be fun trying.

As far as plants go I know I want Crypts, Java Moss, Java Fern and Aponogeton, but other than that I'm not too sure. I'd like to have a few other species - something with a different types of leaves as, other than the moss, those listed above all have similar shaped leaves. I'll have to trowel through plantgeek and see what I can find that's from the same region and has suitable light requirements etc (I'd like to avoid doing co2 if I can).

Fish I'm a little less certain on. For those of you who've seen my introduction thread you'll know that I'll potentially be travelling fairly often for work and my mum'll be looking after the tank whenever I'm away. I'd like to make this tank as low maintenance as possible so she doesn't have too much to do and there's less chance of things going wrong. So I'll be keeping things well understocked with just one school of small fish (probably rasboras). I'd like to have a 'final picture' in mind of what the stocking will be once the tanks well established and my mum and I are both more confident about maintaining it though. I'd still like to keep it well below capacity stocking but would eventually like to flesh things out a little, add one or two other species and get a more rounded biotope going.

So here's what I was thinking I'd eventually like to see in the tank:
    a decent sized school of smaller rasboras - probably harlequins
    a small (but at least half a dozen) school of small loaches - either dwarf chain or khuli
    and either a single or a small group of one of the smaller species of gourami - sparkling or chocolate maybe

For now it would just be a school of rasboras. The fish places around here occasionally have some of the less common species but I think I'll be going for the harlequins, I like the shape of the fish and I think the black/orange colouring would look really good with all the greens of the plants without being too bright.

So what does everyone think? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tank is currently out on the verandah being tested for leaks (so far so good - the cat's name is Mr Toes by the way) but will be moved into place this afternoon. Then I just need to buy some dechlorinator (I have a bottle but it's been sitting around half empty for the last six months and I don't trust it) and a few other bits and pieces and I can start cycling!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   U can not just have an oscar in your AC tank.  U need variety. - octoxpuss   from a fellow front lover - sailor   another front for your colony. best of luck and keep us updated. - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dynara
    So I thought I'd keep a journal for this tank as it's my first real attempt at a planted setup.

Equipment is as follows:
    Tank: 40 gallon (36" x 15" x 18") with pine stand
    Filtration: Eheim Classis 2213 and AquaClear 70
    Heater: 150w but thinking of upping this to a 200w
    Light: Hagen Glo T5HO 2x39w (don't have this yet but about to order it)

My current thinking is to do a Southeast Asian biotope with small fish that will complement the plants - so nothing too flashy and distracting (but still beautiful). I want the plants/aquascaping to be as much a focus as the fish. Never attempted anything like this before and have no idea if I can pull it of to my satisfaction but, hey, it'll be fun trying.

As far as plants go I know I want Crypts, Java Moss, Java Fern and Aponogeton, but other than that I'm not too sure. I'd like to have a few other species - something with a different types of leaves as, other than the moss, those listed above all have similar shaped leaves. I'll have to trowel through plantgeek and see what I can find that's from the same region and has suitable light requirements etc (I'd like to avoid doing co2 if I can).

Fish I'm a little less certain on. For those of you who've seen my introduction thread you'll know that I'll potentially be travelling fairly often for work and my mum'll be looking after the tank whenever I'm away. I'd like to make this tank as low maintenance as possible so she doesn't have too much to do and there's less chance of things going wrong. So I'll be keeping things well understocked with just one school of small fish (probably rasboras). I'd like to have a 'final picture' in mind of what the stocking will be once the tanks well established and my mum and I are both more confident about maintaining it though. I'd still like to keep it well below capacity stocking but would eventually like to flesh things out a little, add one or two other species and get a more rounded biotope going.

So here's what I was thinking I'd eventually like to see in the tank:
    a decent sized school of smaller rasboras - probably harlequins
    a small (but at least half a dozen) school of small loaches - either dwarf chain or khuli
    and either a single or a small group of one of the smaller species of gourami - sparkling or chocolate maybe

For now it would just be a school of rasboras. The fish places around here occasionally have some of the less common species but I think I'll be going for the harlequins, I like the shape of the fish and I think the black/orange colouring would look really good with all the greens of the plants without being too bright.

So what does everyone think? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tank is currently out on the verandah being tested for leaks (so far so good - the cat's name is Mr Toes by the way) but will be moved into place this afternoon. Then I just need to buy some dechlorinator (I have a bottle but it's been sitting around half empty for the last six months and I don't trust it) and a few other bits and pieces and I can start cycling!

Very nice tank ! :) congrats my only suggestion is maybe a glass tops for it. To keep Mr. Toes out lol he already likes hanging out by it . i have some Harlequin rasboras there awesome lil piggies and active

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks dane. The tank does have glass lids but if my cats stay true to form there shouldn't be any problems - we already have a pond in the backyard full of white cloud mountain minnows and they completely ignore them - same with the cockatiel.

Adding Ambulia and Hygrophila to the list of plants I want to have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I got the dechlorinator, the 200 watt heater and some new filter media today. Got home set everything up, put the background on the tank (black wrapping paper - only thing I could find that was large enough that I wouldn't have a seam showing, think it'll look good with a dark substrate and plants) and started the filters up. The AC works fine but when I turned the canister on... damn, a leak. It's in one of the taps (or whatever those things are with the switches that let you keep the suction when you take the filter off to clean it so you don't have to prime it everytime). I checked everything I could think of, it's definitely not the connections to the hose and I tried switching around the taps and it still leaks, so it looks like I have to go shopping for spare parts tomorrow. Oh well, the AC can start the cycling process going in the meantime. I'm cycling with fish food - can't get hold of soap-free ammonia for love or money around here.

On a brighter note I ordered the light today, and a new test kit - half the things in my old one are almost empty and it's been kicking around for a good six or seven months.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    It sounds like you have really nice setup in planning. Asian fish are very beautiful. In my spare time, just to tell you how much of a nerd I am, I made a list of plants and the areas they are native to. If you want I can give you the Asian part of the list so you can see what plant interest you. With the hagen glo that you ordered you will have about 2 wpg. This will allow for more than just low light plants, usually 2wpg is considered in the medium low/medium range.

As for fish have you thought of a pearl gourami? They are pretty peaceful if given enough space and are very striking. I had one in a 20g long and he was just stunning, especially when he emerged from a group of plants. I would personally stay away from chocolate gouramis as they are considered very fragile and need soft water.
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks wolf, that plant list would be great. I've considered the pearls. At the moment I'm thinking I'd like to keep the fish all roughly the same size but the gourami will be the last thing I'll be adding and I fully expect to change my mind several times between now and then, so I'm not ruling out anything yet (within the Southeast Asian biotope framework, I'm sure about this one thing at least).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I did a ring around of the lfs near me and no one had the part I need for my Eheim in stock, but one of the places is going to order it in for me. Will take a couple of weeks though Oh well, I guess there's no real hurry while I'm doing the fishless cycle, the AC can keep that going until the canister's back up and running - I'm just feeling impatient.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My new light arrived yesterday. It took about 10 minutes just to unwrap the thing there was so much bubble wrap. But I now have the light set up on the tank... and a mound of bubble wrap about 1m high sitting in the middle of my floor.

Also, the pet store rang - the part for my Eheim filter is in (much sooner than anticipated, yay!) so I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

Now I just have to teach mum how to do the water testing so she can keep the cycling process going while I go to Austria for a three and a half week holiday. lol. Maybe this wasn't the best time to start setting up a tank... But I figure this way mum can get used to taking care of the tank without there being any fish in it to worry about killing, if something goes wrong I haven't really wasted any time, and if all goes to plan I'll come home to a fully cycled tank all ready for fish.
    55 gallon - goldfish tank - 1 black moor (Teppic); 1 black & gold telescope eye (Angua); 1 panda butterfly tail (Twoflower)
    40 gallon - planted SE asian biotope - 12 harlequin rasbora (10 more in QT)
    5 gallon cube - currently empty; planned planted cherry shrimp setup

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I'm back home (Austria was fantastic!) and now, after nearly 24 hours on various planes and a couple days of serious jet lag, I'm ready to get back to work on this tank. As hoped, I've come back to a fully cycled tank (thanks mum!) so I should be able to get things happening fairly quickly.

The plan is to keep using fish food to keep the cycle going while I get together everything I'll need - namely substrate, driftwood, rocks - then when the plants arrive (I'll be ordering them from a local internet-based company I've dealt with before) I'll drain and clean out all the rotting fish food from the tank, get everything set up, planted out and refilled then head off to the lfs for the fish (a school - probably about 12 - of Harlequin rasboras).

I spent the last few hours trawling through websites, narrowing down a list of plants to get. I'm pretty happy with the list as it stands currently:

Aponogeton crispus (a red variety if I can get it)
    Ambulia
    Hygrophila
    A whole bunch of crypts, including Cryptocoryne wendtii
    A moss of some sort, either java moss or willow moss
    I also need to find a floating plant of some sort (perhaps riccia)
    55 gallon - goldfish tank - 1 black moor (Teppic); 1 black & gold telescope eye (Angua); 1 panda butterfly tail (Twoflower)
    40 gallon - planted SE asian biotope - 12 harlequin rasbora (10 more in QT)
    5 gallon cube - currently empty; planned planted cherry shrimp setup

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a little somthing to get your gift section started :) - tanks4thememories   Thanks for the supportive post - for your SW tank - Cliff   From another goof - so you don't have to wait as long - Cliff   Aw shucks....   I'm flattered - Cliff   Merry X-mass - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dynara
    ... I'll drain and clean out all the rotting fish food from the tank, get everything set up, planted out and refilled then head off to the lfs for the fish (a school - probably about 12 - of Harlequin rasboras).
    just to make sure we're on the same page don't drain the tank completely of water or you will lose you benifitial bacteria colonies... from how prepared you are it seems as though you've already done you're hw on this and i congratulate you on that haha

best of luck when you get the fish and lets see some pics when you get the plants in!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown