· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

Default OK Folks be gentle...

0 Not allowed!
    OK Folks be gentle...its been a while since I ran a salt water tank.

I'm thinking 45 gal tall Fish-Only Saltwater Lion Fish tank.

I already have the tank so all who have an opinion please feel free to share it.

Here is what I do know so far:
    I love larger Predatory fish
    I have the tank and the stand and plexy top

Ok folks let the suggestions begin..(I would especially love to hear from you cocoa_pleco)
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 03-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool idea....it might work, as long as you stick with smaller Lionfish such as Dwarf Lions and Fu Manchus. You couldn't get much else though, as the Lionfish will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. Most importantly, just stay away from Volitans.
    I hope you intend to use live rock in your system, as this will play an important roll in your tank's biological filter. Also, it sounds like you haven't done any research...marine tanks require lots of knowledge and planning.
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 03-07-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
    Cool idea....it might work, as long as you stick with smaller Lionfish such as Dwarf Lions and Fu Manchus. You couldn't get much else though, as the Lionfish will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. Most importantly, just stay away from Volitans.
    I hope you intend to use live rock in your system, as this will play an important roll in your tank's biological filter. Also, it sounds like you haven't done any research...marine tanks require lots of knowledge and planning.
    Thanx!!
    Been about 20 yrs since I ran salt...lol So I'm gonna need all the help I can get.
    I want to start off with FO which means no live rock. Then as it is established ill convert it to live rock and then who knows maybe a mini. Why do you say no Volitans?
    Also anyone have any other suggestions besides lionfish? I like em kinda big and very colorful and extremely odd/uncommon. I think of aquariums kinda like living art. So I want the fish to be stunning.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, it sounds like you haven't done any research...marine tanks require lots of knowledge and planning.
    Yup, you preaching to the choir, that's what this thread is about I wont be actually starting the build for months yet. This is how I "Roll"...lol

1) Concept - get some ideas,
    2) Research of concept - research the most attractive ideas and decide on one,
    3) Feasibility - Deeper research on the one you have chosen,
    4) More research - dot the I's and cross the T's,
    5) Start work!!

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, your system will be more difficult to maintain without live rock. Live rock filters your tank, and keeps it stable. IMO, it's a must, for any type of marine aquarium.
    As for the Volitans, from what I've heard, they are known to grow to about the size of a basketball. Imagine that, swimming around in a 45 gallon tank. Although they are slow-moving fish, they should probably be kept long-term in nothing smaller than a 125 gallon.
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, your system will be more difficult to maintain without live rock. Live rock filters your tank, and keeps it stable. IMO, it's a must, for any type of marine aquarium.
    As for the Volitans, from what I've heard, they are known to grow to about the size of a basketball. Imagine that, swimming around in a 45 gallon tank. Although they are slow-moving fish, they should probably be kept long-term in nothing smaller than a 125 gallon.
    Have to research those and see how fast they grow. If its slow then I would get one and trade it when it gets too big. Ive done that a lot in the past. Or sometimes I get attached to them and just get a bigger tank.

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I might DIY wet/dry filter and overflow. Seems like there some pretty well documented DIY projects for those.

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm one site says "Volitans Lionfish, Black Lionfish, or Red Firefish is also the largest lionfish, at about 16 inches for a full adult length" thats not bad

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If I went with dwarf lion fish I could have several varieties. That would be neat. Especially when I get to the mini reef stage of the tank.

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A wet/dry filter is good to have, but still will not provide the biological filtration system that many experts recommend.
    And yes, 16 inches is pretty bad. That fish is over a foot long, and simply requires a tank larger than 45 gallons. I can't make you do what's best for the fish, but part of researching involves finding out the requirements of the livestock you intend to keep. Experts such as Cocoa and SWAddict will say the same.
    Definitely try and go with the dwarf lionfish They are neat, and interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 03-07-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast