· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - kel   

Default Planning a Betta tank and need advise.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys

I am planning on getting a Betta maybe a couple months down the road.

I plan on doing a DIY foam/rock bg for it plus mini stand and hood (will post more on that in the DIY section once I get to that stage but it looks cool in my head right now lol... stay tuned)

Anyhoo... I will have an empty 5g by then but was wondering if it would be big enough with the bg in there. By my figuring once the bg is in place and the substrate is down that would leave about 3g of actual water in the tank and about 14-15 inches of side to side swimming space and about 1/3 that front to back. Would I be better off just getting a 10g to do this with? Or does that sound like enough space?

I know a lot of people keep their Betta's in 2.5-3g tanks without problem but have also seen a lot of 10g Betta tanks. I have also read that due to their natural environment that too much space can make them feel insecure and vulnerable.... so I guess I need to know what the ideal tank size would be? I'd like to get the right size first since the bg is going to be time consuming and would hate to have to do it twice just to save a few bucks in the beginning.

Ty
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lets get your AC aquarium started.  Here ya go. - octoxpuss   

0 Not allowed!
    the bigger the tank, the less problems you have. i suggest getting at least a 10g, but if it's for a betta - nothing bigger than a 29-45g tank if you're planning on getting tank mates.

adding plants(live of fake) and little caves made by rock formations or decorations you buy can make them feel safe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Just go with a 10g since you can buy them for $10 each. They will not feel insecure in a 10g provided they have somewhere they can hide.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with a ten gallon.They are a great size for the betta.You could also add some cardinal tetras with it.Its a great mix.You can get a ten gallon complete at most large stores for a decent price.
    Here is a link with some info.There are more links at the bottom of that page too.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - kel   

0 Not allowed!
    Thats kinda the direction I was leaning in.... just wanted to check and make sure first. Thanks guys
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I think 5g would be fine, but if the background is gonna take up a lot of room go with the 10g, fairly cheap to get. Actually I think locally here a 10g tank is cheaper to buy than 5g.

I actually had a betta in a 20g tank and he was outgoing and basically ruled the tank, making regular laps around the tank. Got a new betta not too long ago, and this guy is in just a 10g planted tank by himself, he stays more or less in one corner of the tank. It's almost as if he's afraid of the excess space, rarely explores even though it's well planted. Only had him about two weeks, hoping he starts exploring a bit more once he feels secure. Think it's really up to that individual betta's personality whether it'll take to a larger tank or not.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    My Betta is in a 20.

It's planted and he's into everything. Since the tank sits on what is supposed to be a short dresser that I use for office supplies, if I look for something or have one of the drawers open, he'll come out to see what is going on.

He does have his favorite resting place which is behind a piece of driftwood that is covered in moss, but he uses all the plants to drape on during the day. He lounges on the Vals, Pennywort, ect. The only plants he doesn't really bother with would be the Banana plant and the Java Fern. I guess those are not comfy to lay on. LOL

If you want more than just a Betta, make sure you add the Betta last. Mine isn't as anal as some of them can be, but I suspect he'd give a new fish a hard time as it's his tank and he likes it that way.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New year! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Adding one more vote for a big tank! As far as I'm concerned, the idea of bettas being "scared of big tanks" is just another one of those urban legends that leads to them living in tiny death cups.

Bettas aren't scared of large spaces, but some are made uncomfortable by open spaces. Their natural habitats are densely vegetated and WIDE rice paddies. So if you're doing a big tank, just make sure to have a little jungle of (real or silk) plants for him to hide in and swim through and he'll be fine. :)

5 gallons is the min. I like to see bettas in, and I agree that if the background will take up space within the tank, go for the 10! :)
    "We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii