· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

Default Amano Shrimp Conerns

0 Not allowed!
    Tank specs are in signature below.

My tank has been experiencing some mild red algae growth for the past couple of weeks. I didn't buy the shrimp as a way to deal with the algae, I was just interested in maintaining some invertebrates.

I have three Amano shrimp. Right now they are busy taking care of the relatively small buildup of algae I have in my tank. At the rate they are going they will probably take care if the rest of the algae growth in my tank by the end of the week.

i have been feeding my fish regularly (skipping a day once a week and making sure they eat everything in only a few minutes). Obviously, a flake or pellet or two make it past my fish. Is this enough to keep my shrimp happy in the future? Or when all of the algae is gone, should I start feeding more? I understand that they are opportunistic/sparse eaters, but i don't want to starve anyone!

Anyone think that I have too many shrimp?

65 Gallon Low Tech Planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. They eat all kinds of stuff, so unless they are displaying abnormal behavior, I wouldn't think too much of it.

I know you have fake plants, but shrimp really like moss. Mosses collect stuff from the water that they like to pick through, so if you're able to get a small thing of Java Moss, they'd probably really enjoy it.

Java Moss isn't hard to take care of and it's not demanding, at all. It's low light and can grow in all kinds of conditions.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I have been wanting to add some type of moss or other small plant, but I have a few concerns about my tank:

1) I only have stock lighting in my hood. Not even sure of what the wattage, etc. is. Is java moss able to grow under such conditions?

2) My substrate is gravel of mixed size, mostly larger pieces, average size being about 1.5 cm in diameter. Can java moss grow in substrate like this? I have no fluorite, sand, or soil and would not be interested in investing in a substrate makeover.

3) I don't want to have to deal with CO2 or fertilizers.

Zilla, do you still think java moss could work for me?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    You wouldn't have to worry about any of that. All you'd need to do is attach it to either the piece of bogwood you already have or get a second piece and let the moss grow on that.

To anchor it, you can use a cotton thread or fishing line. Either one will work although the fishing line will have to be removed in a month or so. Just make sure the moss is fully attached before cutting the line.

Place the piece of wood w/ the moss where it gets some light ( it doesn't need full light) and some water movement, and there ya go.

It can't get any easier. No messing with ferts ( the moss will absorb nutrients from the water) fancy substrates and all that jazz.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Yay!

I love having a good reason to go to the LFS and actually buy something!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    You want to make sure the lamp(bulb) you are using is the right Kelvin rating for growing plants, (between 5000 and 10000)as long as it is you shouldnt have a problem growing moss, it doesnt need very much light at all.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    From what I can gather from Aqueon's website and catalog , my hood comes with a "full-spectrum fluorescent lamp". I can't find any specification on how many K, etc. my bulb is.

Any idea what this means?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    As long as it isn't one of the incandescent ( screw in type) bulbs, you're good. The bulbs that come with the hood are rated 8,000 K. If it is a incandescent bulb, you can find 6500K CFL bulbs at Walmart. They are put out by GE and come in packages of 2. I use (2) 13-watters over my 20 gallon and they get the job done with no problem.

I like them as they do not give off any real amount of heat, but they also give off clean light unlike some bulbs that turn everything either pink, blue or green.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay cool. Yeah, it isn't an incandescent bulb, so I think I am in the clear. Thanks for the reassurance!

One other thing: I keep my light on a timer, about 13 hours per day. I am home a lot and I like to be able to see the little buggers. Is this too much light? Not an issue?
    Last edited by raulfd4; 04-14-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you inspected the bulb itself? They almost always have information (part number, wattage, possibly spectrum) printed on them.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish