· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default My new DIY overflow

0 Not allowed!
    I am trying to make most of my own stuff for my tank. Here is what I came up with for my own PVC overflow. It is 1" so I should get the 1200 gph out of it that I want. I still have not glued it or tried it but will post more when I do so. It will be painted with fusion black when all done. I still have to put an air valve on the tops to start the siphon. In the third pic you can see how the one elbow turns up to fill it with water. This is my first one so what do you think. What did I do wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by burntfish
    I am trying to make most of my own stuff for my tank. Here is what I came up with for my own PVC overflow. It is 1" so I should get the 1200 gph out of it that I want. I still have not glued it or tried it but will post more when I do so. It will be painted with fusion black when all done. I still have to put an air valve on the tops to start the siphon. In the third pic you can see how the one elbow turns up to fill it with water. This is my first one so what do you think. What did I do wrong.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1271093232

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1271093389

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1271093443
    Looks good except for the fact that technically you haven't built an overflow, you've built a siphon. Overflows for sumps work by pumping water from the sump into your already full tank...The water level rises and flows over a wall or into a bulkhead and drains down into the sump. This way, the sump and tank stay in relative equilibrium to each other. Actually, if you are using a sump you DONT EVER want a siphon to start as it could drain the tank, overflow the sump, and make a bloody mess on your floor. Now, if you are putting a canister filter and the end of these guys, that will work, but not a sump.

--chris

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It can only siphon down 3" from the top of tank(11.7Gals). I will be using a 55gal as my sump and will have lots of room if the pump goes down. My sump pump will be 1500 gph @ 4ft head and both siphons together should handle 1500-1600 gph. Well that the math, but I wont know if its right till I get it all setup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to see pics of it all set-up and running when your done
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You need the "overflow" part. As stated above, what've you've got is a siphon and one that'll likely lose it's vacumn eventually and flood your house. The basic design is sound but it's missing a part. Here's an edit of what you need to make this an overflow.

The ORANGE line represents your likely water line without the addition. GREEN line will be your constant water level with the overflow.

The YELLOW block is where a one way siphon valve should be put. This is where you will pull the air from the siphon tube that goes over the rim of the tank. If you connect this point to a lift pump then you'll always have all the air pulled from this area and be assured that you won't have your siphon broken from bubble picked up in the overflow.

The teeth at the top of the overflow will determine your water line in the tank.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do see what you are saying, but the pics where a work in progress and not how they would really sit in there. Once I have the hood made and on they will look more like this. So my water level would be right at the bottom of the wood frame on tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, that would work for keeping the water line higher but there's on bonus to the overflow that no one's pointed out and that is the removal of surface film which helps keep the oxygen concentration high, and depositing those proteins to the filter where they can be broken down.

If you want to stay with your current design I would at the minimum recommend the one-way valve to remove air from the U-Tube.

Hope to see your work up and running soon! Post pics!

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will be putting a 1 way valve in also. I didn't know what to call it in my first post. I was also thinking of having 1 pull water from the top and the other pull water from the center.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by burntfish
    I will be putting a 1 way valve in also. I didn't know what to call it in my first post. I was also thinking of having 1 pull water from the top and the other pull water from the center.

Im not seeing the utility of some of the parts in your design.

I did a lot of research before i made mines and the best design I found was one of our very own members. Try this link. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60607 - it is the most elegant solution of all that I found in my research.

The overflow is built into the design by the sleeve that goes into the tank. The safety is also built in because of the slotting at the top of the sleeve.

PS the only place you need the check valve is at the top. Also if you want somthing simular to your original design just double the one I have in the link I provided and connect them with a T.

Hope it helps ya..:)
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 04-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"