· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation newbie needs help!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

i used to keep fish many years ago, and i am just setting up a new tank and relighting my love of fishkeeping!

i am about 3 weeks in to the maturing process and currently have 6 lf zebra danios and a couple of pearl gouramis. a few plants/rocks/bogwood etc.

1. the problems i am having are mainly that the water is still very discolured, which i guess is due to the bogwood, but i would of thought it would of cleared by now?

2. im also getting an oily film on the surfacewhich goes away for a day after a 10% change, but comes straight back the following day!?

3. my ph is about 8 at the mo and i want to reduce this to nearer 7, however im using a reducer but it doesnt seem to change? could it be anything to do with some rocks i have introduced? the only problem is i dont know what rocks they are, i pinched them from a park!!?

if anyone can shed anylight on any of these matters i would be grateful!!

thanks,

Alex

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC! - Brookfish   A wonderful tank and such lovely loaches! - rothenb1   nice big tank - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Alex,

Ye iv got that oily film b4 when i was cycling a tank.. it just went away. No idea what it is..

Have u tested the PH of ur tapwater yet?

Yes those rocks are probably raising the PH... Well depending on the rock. Personally i dont put in random rocks... I buy rocks with neutral PH from my LFS.. But you can collect rocks that dont raise PH.. U just gotta know which ones.. Granite and other igneous rocks u can use....

Also i wudnt Recommend Using Chemicals to lower PH... U Can use peat.. (In Ireland i can just head up the mountains and collect this) or Indian almond leaves (Pretty cheap on ebay). Few others methods as well.

Hope that helps
    alex, (yup, we got the same name)
    For Fishy info and Fishy vids visit my youtube channel. I have added lots of good links and my own views on the main issues of fishkeeping.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/spudsssy?feature=mhum

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaB
    1. the problems i am having are mainly that the water is still very discolured, which i guess is due to the bogwood, but i would of thought it would of cleared by now?
    Is it a brown/tan color? If so, yes, that's from the bogwood. I've had a piece in my tank for over a month now and it's finally starting to lighten up. It's not harmful, but if it bothers you, make sure there's carbon in your filter, and replace it often. That and frequent water changes will help.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I would do larger changes than 10% try 35-50 much more effective that way.

The brown will go away eventually, try running carbon in your filter and changing it every week.

The film is from proteins in the food and waste. try to feed a bit less and increase surface agitation.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
    rich gave great info.
    Also read the free ebook.The link is below in my sig.There is lots of valuable info in there.I am sure it will help.
    Also test for ammonia ,nitrites and nitrates.Your ph is fine and that stuff to lower it is not good for your fish.Its best to leave it stable.
    A liquid test kit is best.Test strips are worthless.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys/gals,

alot of good tips there!! can get very confusing as my 2 local shops seem to contradict each other in terms of advice!!

does anyone know of any sites that can tell me what rocks can and cant be used in an aquarium? ideally with pics so i can identify the ones i have!

Also, whats the best way to get rid of algae growth on plants and bogwood?
    should i just wait til i can introduce some algae loving vertebrate!?

thanks again,

Al

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
    rich gave great info.
    Your ph is fine and that stuff to lower it is not good for your fish.Its best to leave it stable.
    My water is ph8 out the tap. I am hoping to reduce this to about 7 with a plan to keep dwarf chiclids and some rarer plecs/cats. i will stop using the chem reducer, but i need to get it down. is peat any good?

thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Most rocks are fine.I prefer slate,granite,marble and quartz.They have all proven to be safe.
    With white vinager you can test the rocks.Pour a bit on and if it fizzes it will raise your ph.If it does not it will not do anything.
    Driftwood will lower ph a bit.
    Make sure the rocks are clean and set up so they will not move and crush a fish.
    Do not boil .I use a steel brush under hot tap water.
    I also clean my driftwood and rocks with a steel brush under hot tap water.
    Do not clean any filter parts with tap water.Only old tank water.
    Peat in the filter works well.
    What is the ph in the tank?
    It usually is lower in the tank.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    the film is from the nitrification process it is a good sign that you have plenty of bacteria present. I imagine from the time table it is the 1st kind and you are now working on the ones that turn nitrite into nitrate. Some people see it others don't.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - The Red Severum   Really nice to see you again! - Lady Hobbs   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep! - Lindsey   tanks4thecompliment!! =) - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaB
    My water is ph8 out the tap. I am hoping to reduce this to about 7 with a plan to keep dwarf chiclids and some rarer plecs/cats. i will stop using the chem reducer, but i need to get it down. is peat any good?

thanks
    I would suggest using RO water. Or letting your water sit in a container with peat in it before you use it in your tank. The reason being if you lower your tank ph to 7 and you have 8 coming out of tap then when you do wc there is a strong chance you will shock your fish depending on what % of your tank water you change. So if you wish to keep your tank water at 7 I suggest you come up with some system to get it lower before you add it to the tank. Having driftwood in your tank is a great stable choice for keeping PH at a decent level.
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 04-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"