· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave66 Mayday!

Exclamation Dave66 Mayday!

0 Not allowed!
    OK......here she goes.

Two 55 gallon tanks with identical filtration and lights. Same plants in both tanks, both with CO2 and water quality the same. Lights on 10 hours daily.

One tank is perfect and the other has BBA big time. My spiral crypts have more hair on them than I do on my head. LOL

I will say that I had no algae until I dosed a half dose of ferts twice but I also did it to both tanks.

I have ordered some Excel but I wondered if the half doses you recommend would do it or do you think I could half dose for a week and then bring dose up to a full dose or could I just start with a full dose.

And why is one tank such a mess and the other have no problem!

Thank you

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is one in a room that gets more light during the day than the other? (Ie. By a window, in a frequently used home area, etc.)

Other things I could think of is that maybe one has a higher bioload than the other, or you accidentally introduced some of the algae from one of the plants you added, but it didn't get to the other tank.

(And sorry if I recently sent you a broken link in pm, Wild Turkey fixed Oranda's anchor worm thread mess for me.)
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    OK......here she goes.

Two 55 gallon tanks with identical filtration and lights. Same plants in both tanks, both with CO2 and water quality the same. Lights on 10 hours daily.

One tank is perfect and the other has BBA big time. My spiral crypts have more hair on them than I do on my head. LOL

I will say that I had no algae until I dosed a half dose of ferts twice but I also did it to both tanks.

I have ordered some Excel but I wondered if the half doses you recommend would do it or do you think I could half dose for a week and then bring dose up to a full dose or could I just start with a full dose.

Thank you
    Hobbsy,
    Even with Co2 injection you still have an alkaline pH huh? The spore or spores from BBA got into your tank somehow; either on a new or newer fish, your tap one day, a net, the air - it doesn't matter.

And hun, you gotta know there's no such thing as identical aquariums. When's the last time you changed your light bulbs anyway? (broad hint)

The reason I aver half doses of Excel is it's hard on fishes normally, and much worse when used with Co2 injection. By hard on fishes I mean it tends to limit the amount of Oxygen in the water, which is why people report fish gasping at the surface when using Excel, usually in the a.m. I'd still run an airstone at least at night to drive off the excess Co2 to keep the dissolved O2 up to snuff especially when using the Excel.

I'd suggest you use a turkey baster or similar and squirt the half doses at the BBA. More of a rifle attack then a shotgun one. BBA'll croak in a few days to a week with daily half doses that way. If it starts to pale you've got it.

Why half doses of ferts, and which ferts were they?

Dave

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for answering my mayday. :)

I will stick to the half doses of Excel as you recommend then. I used half doses of ferts because I was afraid of getting algae. Guess maybe I should have stuck to the tabs instead of the liquid. (Leaf Zone)

I have shop lights on both tanks and both bulbs are the same age.....like 3 months old. I used the plant bulbs.

I had no idea added air should be going in the tank when using Excel so glad you told me that. I will also run bubbler at night.

Thanks hon.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK......here she goes.

Thank you
    I had a similar situation with only one tank. Here's what happened. I had a very heavily planted tank a 29 gallon I let the plants realty take over, it was pact! I was fertilizing with Tropica Aquacare Plant Nutrition, great stuff by the way. I had been using it with every water change for about 4 months no problems. Then one week BANG BBA shows up! I’m like “What the hell!”. Well it turns out what happened was my tank was so full of plants that the food (flake and bloodworms) and water I was putting in wasn’t generating enough Phosphate and or Nitrate. So, I found that Tropica and other fertilizers actually do make a fertilizer that has N and P in it. So I started adding this (just a little) and the BBA died in less then a week!

I would advise you to test for Phosphates first if your showing 0, there’s your problem. Remember, it wasn’t the fertilizer that caused the algae it was a lack of one thing and too much of another. As soon as Phosphate is or Nitrate for that matter is non-existent your plants completely stop growing and all the other nutrients shoot through the roof! I read somewhere I wish I could post it but it’s been a long time that BBA is one of the few algae that can grow without the presence of Phosphate!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for answering my mayday. :)

I will stick to the half doses of Excel as you recommend then. I used half doses of ferts because I was afraid of getting algae. Guess maybe I should have stuck to the tabs instead of the liquid. (Leaf Zone)

I have shop lights on both tanks and both bulbs are the same age.....like 3 months old. I used the plant bulbs.

I had no idea added air should be going in the tank when using Excel so glad you told me that. I will also run bubbler at night.

Thanks hon.
    I tried Flourish Excel in my new tank as I was just starting it up. I wanted to see if I could use it to control early stage algae, as I read about its algaecide properties. I found that it did indeed kill green algae and hair algae. However, it also melted the roots on my Java Fern and my Cabomba (fanwort) was killed almost overnight! From what I have read online Flourish Excel is basically embalming fluid! Its main ingredient is a very similar compound that does have carbon in it that plants can use but only if they can tolerate the chemical itself.

I would try to find the actual cause of your imbalance and not rely to heavily on Excel as a magic cure.
    Last edited by Plant Man; 04-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One other thing that can be tricky is that plants store energy and will continue to grow for up to a week or more after a nutritional deficiency is present. This is why we can get rid of algae, because algae are single celled and cannot store energy. When you have a routine of water changes that restores nutrients that the plants use up 1 to2 days before your next water change you will have no algae in your tank as algae will die very quickly without the nutrients they need to live. It’s when that deficiency lasts longer then a week or so that you run into serious trouble. And the first one that usually shows up under these circumstances is BBA.

We all have the spores of algae’s in our tanks, what we need to do is limit for a day or two there excess to nutrients. The plants can handle it, algae cannot!
    Last edited by Plant Man; 04-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I am not going to use Excel as a cure all but certainly want to clean up the mess growing there now first. Since BBA will not go away by itself, I want to get rid of what I have. I do not use phosphates at all. I have too high phosphate in my water already so use phosphate-free ferts.

Excel is made for planted tanks. When it's over-dosed as so many do, then you have problems. Also sometimes have problems with a few species of plants. Vals is said to die off but they will take off again and appear to then be able to handle Excel so we'll see.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not going to use Excel as a cure all but certainly want to clean up the mess growing there now first. Since BBA will not go away by itself, I want to get rid of what I have. I do not use phosphates at all. I have too high phosphate in my water already so use phosphate-free ferts.

Excel is made for planted tanks. When it's over-dosed as so many do, then you have problems. Also sometimes have problems with a few species of plants. Vals is said to die off but they will take off again and appear to then be able to handle Excel so we'll see.
    could you post a close up picture of the algae?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lady Hobbs, are you testing your KH and PH to find out how much CO2 you actually have in the water?